The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating Subdomain for website builder Issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dmma_1987, Jan 25, 2016.

1. dmma_1987

dmma_1987 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Guys,

I'm totally new with the whole hosting and stuff and just made a subdomain. I have no idea where to go and what to do to make my subdomain work. I created it based on the instructions and it was easy.

When I started to upload my files via the Adobe Muse, it kep t saying that the site may not support ftp etc. I try to check the subdomain by visiting the web address, it shows something's wrong and for me to check the logs.
    So I go and check the logs, and the subdomain isn't there.

I've exported from Adobe Muse for a previous subdomain before and it works. Now, I'm thinking if I needed an FTP account just for that. I'm definitely doing something wrong here - or that I haven't done anything yet. Pls help. Newbie here!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What was the exact error message? May be useful.

3. dmma_1987

dmma_1987 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi! Thanks for getting back to me quick.

Here's a screenshot. Appears everytime I access the url of the said new subdomain. I pinged the site too - 100% loss / timed out.
    upload_2016-1-26_8-21-25.png

I noticed that on the cpanel, the dns registered on my new subdomain is different versus the dns i saw while pinging it. Does this help?

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That's not an error message from cPanel.

The subdomain, under normal circumstances should be using the same nameservers as the main domain.

You might want to check with support for the Adobe tool you're using.

5. dmma_1987

dmma_1987 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Infopro,

I thought about your last post here so I tried Filezilla to upload to my sub.domain.com.
    However, I still get errors :(

I edited the DNS of the sub.domain.com because it's different from the one listed in Cpanel. I can send you a private message of the site details if you can troubleshoot this with me. I'm ready to admit that I may have done something wrong somewhere along the way and I'd like to understand how to do it right.

I made the sub.domain.com in Cpanela

Here's a screenshot of what I get everytime
    upload_2016-1-29_2-51-32.png in Filezilla

upload_2016-1-29_2-51-57.png in Adobe Muse

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  7. dmma_1987

dmma_1987 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Michael,

Yes, I've pinged it a few times. It's different from the DNS registered in CPanel.
    from my laptop, it shows 54.183.114.186 (100% loss/timeout). In CPanel, it's 68.65.122.110 (100% received)

From a calculated guess, I changed the dns of that subdomain in CPanel to 54.183.114.186 - ofcourse, nothing changed :( so I changed it back to 68.65.122.110

Last week, I deleted that subdomain and recreated it - I waited but nothing changed.

subdomain1 - 68.65.122.110 has no issues with Adobe Muse or Filezilla - it connects and is able to upload files
    subdomain2 (the new one I did) - 54.183.114.186 has issues with with Adobe Muse or Filezilla - doesn't connect at all

It makes me wonder if it's an issue that my account in CPanel is a "Special FTP Acct". It says there that there are some restrictions with that account but it's similiar to an admin's.

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Going by that comment, what instructions did you follow exactly? I ask because of this comment:
    When you created a subdomain from within cPanel, it should have used the proper nameservers, the same ones you main domain uses. You shouldn't have needed to edit anything.

To troubleshoot, you might try reversing any changes you made, remove the subdomain using the tool for that in cPanel. That should remove any modified DNS issues. The try adding it again from the top, using these instructions:
    Subdomains - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Addon FTP accounts are restricted to the directory you set when you created the addon FTP account. Also you must use the full addon FTP username for login username: ftpuser@yourdomain.com

10. dmma_1987

dmma_1987 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi again,

Yup, that's what I followed when I created the subdomain. Didn't do anything complex, it was pretty easy to follow and the directory was auto-filled too.

The first time I did it, I waited for more than 24hours (forums say it takes about that time to activate) - still the same. Couldn't connect via Adobe Muse and then Filezilla. I pinged it too.

Pretty much, I checked every sensible forum posts I could relate to to solve the issue :(

11. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You don't have root access to this server do you? Your forum profile shows you listed as Website Owner. You might want to contact your Hosting provider, explain that you're trying to create a subdomain and its using the wrong IP address. Or something.

They can surely take a quicker look at this for you than we can work out going back and fourth.

12. dmma_1987

dmma_1987 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I created a new subdomain just now to check. It's registered in CPanel>Subdomain and even with the Editor.

You do have a point. At this point it seems the steps I can do are just limited to what my account can handle. I've contacted the person who has that access you mentioned. I'll have to wait and see till then. Thank you for taking time, both of you. :)

Once I figure this out, I'll update this thread with stuff I learned and did.

13. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Please do, thanks!

14. dmma_1987

dmma_1987 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi!

The subdomain is now working. I don't know the steps but I spoke to the person who created the account I have. He was able to get it working - so I think that people who encounter the same issue I have should talk to the account admin esp. if they're on a Special FTP Account like me.

I pinged it and it now resolves to the same DNS of the main domain. 68.65.122.110 with 100% received.
    Adobe Muse, for some reason still cannot export.
    Filezilla, works fine with ftp and sftp connection.

Apparently, if I make another subdomain, I'll have to talk to the account admin again though. Didn't learn much :(
    But I'll get there. Your forums answer a lot! :)

15. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator