Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Creating user *without* domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rjbell4, Mar 23, 2010.

1. rjbell4

rjbell4 Registered

Hi, I'm new to cPanel/WHM, coming from Ensim. I like the flexibility so far!

I'm wondering what the best supported way is to create a user account that only needs shell access. This user does not need to be associated with a domain. The user account would be used to run some automated scripts that are custom, not functionality normally supported by cPanel.

cPanel/WHM seems very flexible, so I'm wondering what the best was is to do this.

Thanks!

2. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

It would just as simple as adding the user to the system. Do this via a shell prompt:

useradd username

That will create a new user, and a new group, for the ‘username’ that you placed in there. Now, to change the password for that user, run this:

passwd username

If you have secures SSH, make sure you add the user to the allowed list if needed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

4. rjbell4

rjbell4 Registered

Thanks. I'm familiar with adduser/useradd. My preference was to do something supported by WHM, and barring that, something that wouldn't confuse WHM. Thank you for confirmed what that would be.