The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critical Bandwidth Bug

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LinuxFreaky, Jun 29, 2002.

1. LinuxFreaky

LinuxFreaky Well-Known Member

The bandwidth limitation of Cpanel does not work correctly, and as a result, I've had a few leechers fall through. When a client's site reaches its bandwidth limit, the site appears to be shut off. However, when non-html files such as avi/zip/rar files are downloaded from elsewhere (hotlinked) they continue to be downloadable without limits. I've watched an account with a 6GB
    per month limit supposedly shut down for bandwidth overusage, only to see that a total of 140+GBs ended up being served. And now I'm getting charged by my host but the client has left!

This bug is VERY CRITICAL!

I've added the above to the Bugzilla and posted it here to see if others have been victims of this bug? And if so, is there a way to stop it from happening?

2. myros

myros Active Member

Had the same thing happen to me, I had a client cancel the account. So I put his account in suspend mode in case he came back later. Checked the bandwidth a day later and one of his subdomains had racked up 10GB from file downloads. Deleted his account right away - glad I caught it before it went higher.

Myros

3. SHSaeed

SHSaeed Well-Known Member

Ouch! 140GB!? That is a very serious bug and can cost you a lot of you're not on one of those 400GB for $2.95 servers.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

rename his /home/user and I bet he won't serve files.

5. LinuxFreaky

LinuxFreaky Well-Known Member

Besides renaming the user's folder, is there another workaround for this? Or is this bug being fixed asap? I had to pay like an extra $300+ for my bandwidth when this happened. And of course, the client ditched me and their credit card wouldn't go through either :(