The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cron cammand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cantthinkofanic, May 25, 2010.

1. cantthinkofanic

cantthinkofanic Registered

I have a problem with a script (I don't know where it is in my CMS - Joomla!) which is changing the permissions of the cache directory from "user" to 99 (apache) at regular intervals (at least once a day). Thus I cannot operate on the cache and certain aspects of the site fail due to not being able to write there.

I have access to CPanel to write a cron command but need to know what to configure to do this say once every 6 hours. I can work out the timing but what is the bit which would actually change the permissions?

Many thanks.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    if you do not have root access to the server you cant change the permissions for files that are owned by Apache.

solution would be to run on a server that has suPHP

3. cantthinkofanic

cantthinkofanic Registered

The host does have suPHP. I suspect some script running on my site is changing it - unless you are saying it could not do so?

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    if they are indeed running suphp it would not be possible for your script to change it

5. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Based on what you said in your original post earlier, that's wrong! ;)

I can tell you now that your host DOES NOT have SuPHP installed!

You are either running DSO (most likely) or original CGI (I'd be very scared if that were the case) but definitely not SuPHP.

The user "nobody" ownerships is not appearing because of any script that your host is running but rather what you yourself are running on your site and is happening because all scripts themselves are running as user nobody so any files that your web scripts interact with in terms of creating or editing will as a result be owned by user 'nobody'

The way to resolve this issue is for your host to actually really change over to either SuPHP or FCGI and reset 'nobody' ownerships to their respective owners one last time and that'll be the end of it.