Cron Daemon email from Mailman after upgrade, IOError: [Errno 20] Not a directory

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
Hi,

After this night's upgrade to cPanel 11.28 I keep on receiving the following message every hour on one of the servers :

Code:
To: [email protected]
Subject: Cron <[email protected]> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/senddigests 

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 106, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 84, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 130, in __init__
    self.Load()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 689, in Load
    self.CheckVersion(dict)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 731, in CheckVersion
    self.InitVars()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 421, in InitVars
    baseclass.InitVars(self)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 112, in InitVars
    fp = open(indexfile)
IOError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/newsletter_userdomain.com/index.html'
Mailman is not running and has not been running on any of our servers, including this one.

Any one know how to solve this?

Thanks.

JaredR.

Feb 25, 2010
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is the output of a cron job. The cron jobs related to Mailman are stored in /var/spool/cron/mailman:

Code:
# cat /var/spool/cron/mailman 
MAILTO=postmaster
# At 8AM every day, mail reminders to admins as to pending requests.
# They are less likely to ignore these reminders if they're mailed
# early in the morning, but of course, this is local time... ;)
0 8 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs
#
# At 9AM, send notifications to disabled members that are due to be
# reminded to re-enable their accounts.
0 9 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/disabled
#
# Noon, mail digests for lists that do periodic as well as threshhold delivery.
0 12 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/senddigests
#
# 5 AM on the first of each month, mail out password reminders.
0 5 1 * * /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/mailpasswds
#
# Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail.  You can comment this one out
# if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
# or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
#0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/gate_news
#
# At 3:27am every night, regenerate the gzip'd archive file.  Only
# turn this on if the internal archiver is used and
# GZIP_ARCHIVE_TXT_FILES is false in mm_cfg.py
27 3 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
#
# At 4:30AM daily, cull old entries from the 'bad' and 'shunt' queues.
30 4 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/cull_bad_shunt
You can either edit the cron job and save the changes, after which cron will automatically detect the changes:

Code:
# crontab -e -u mailman
Or you can move the /var/spool/cron/mailman file to another location, and restart cron:

Code:
# mv /var/spool/cron/mailman /root
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/crond restart

morefood2001

Mar 18, 2008
I'm not getting them hourly, but I've also noticed the same problem. It seems like something happened to mailman. I submitted a ticket (1011946) and they're looking into it.

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
Hi morefood2001 & handsonhosting,

(Sort of) Glad to hear the issue is not only happening on our server.
Did you also have Mailman disabled on those servers as well?

Thanks.

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
Update:
Tonight the servers were updated to the newest Release version of cPanel and afterwards we've received a similar e-mail from the following crons :

• /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs
  • /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/disabled

I've added a "#"-sign to all rules in the Mailman cronjob as it's not used any way. Can I assume that's safe?

Thanks.

morefood2001

Mar 18, 2008
The files for mailman were updated and became corrupted during the update in my case. CPanel's staff removed the corrupted information and re-created the directories and the problems went away.

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
Original cronjob overwrites own cronjob!

This morning (CET) we received the same e-mail again :
Code:
Subject: Cron <[email protected]> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs 

File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 203, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 86, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(name)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 128, in __init__
    self.Lock()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 165, in Lock
    self.Load()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 689, in Load
    self.CheckVersion(dict)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 731, in CheckVersion
    self.InitVars()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 421, in InitVars
    baseclass.InitVars(self)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 112, in InitVars
    fp = open(indexfile)
IOError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/newsletter_userdom.XXX/index.html'
Although all entries in the Mailman cronjob were edited two days ago by adding a preceeding "#" to each line, the original cronjob was back again.
Very very annoying!! :mad:

Bdzzld

Apr 3, 2004
And once again this morning :
Code:
Subject: Cron <[email protected]> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs 

File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 203, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/checkdbs", line 86, in main
    mlist = MailList.MailList(name)
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 128, in __init__
    self.Lock()
  File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 165, in Lock
    self.Load()
    self.CheckVersion(dict)
    self.InitVars()
    baseclass.InitVars(self)
    fp = open(indexfile)
IOError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/newsletter_userdomain.xxx/index.html'
It appears each time the Release version is updated the Mailman cron gets overwritten and coughs up the same error message once again.
This probably means the Mailman installation has been corrupted as well as with user morefood2001. Should I create a truoble ticket?

PDW

Dec 29, 2003
Just recently we started getting an error from mailman for domains that have been removed from the server - so they arent there anymore. Any suggestions on how to clear up this error

Code:
 File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/disabled", line 224, in ?
   main()
 File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/disabled", line 150, in main
   mlist = MailList.MailList(listname)
   self.Lock()
   self.Load()
   self.CheckVersion(dict)
   self.InitVars()
   baseclass.InitVars(self)
   fp = open(indexfile)

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Just recently we started getting an error from mailman for domains that have been removed from the server - so they arent there anymore. Any suggestions on how to clear up this error
BuMp, should we send in a support ticket. Would it be faster..
Please submit a support ticket so that we can directly inspect the issue and surrounding circumstances. I have not yet seen other reports of this issue at the present time; by submitting a ticket this will allow for a more thorough and in-depth direct investigation to properly diagnose and identify the problem.

When available, please post your support ticket ID number. Thanks! :)

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Friendly Moderator Note

I have merged two related discussions into a single thread that I believe pertain to the same issue surrounding Mailman. I also revised the topic in attempt to more accurately describe the common symptom that has been reported.

As always, the best method of receiving support for this issue is to submit a support request. If I am able to confirm specific details of a viable resolution I will share applicable steps or corrective measures in this thread.

cPanelDon

Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Thanks, I sent in a support ticket a few moments ago.
Thank you for the ticket submission; I confirm it is received. If anyone else experiences the same difficulty please submit a support request so that we can gather more details during investigation. Thank you! :)