The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cron job for Mailman script gate_news

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Ishware, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    (Starting two threads for two completely different topics...)

I've been trying to figure out this problem for quite some time now. PReviously, I wrote a thread asking about how to get the Mailman list<->news gateway working. I'd searched before posting, and I've continue to search.

I did finally find out part of the answer, which is that one must run the gate_news script in the cron directory under the mailman installation...

My hosting provider doesn't want to take the time to help me figure out how to get this working; which I understand - they just want to make money. heh. But I would like to figure this out...

Mailman documentation indicates that you can manually run this script, or call it as a cron job. The indication is that you need to:
    1. Change to the mailmain home directory
    2. Call Python to run the script, which is "cron/gate_news" (i.e. in the cron folder underneath the mailman home directory).

I've finally gotten from my hosting provider that the mailman home directory is:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman

Now, after looking at this, I deduce (possibly incorrectly) that cPanel installs Mailman for the entire server, not once for each site. I deduce this partially, because I logged in via shell and tried to run the script manually, i.e.:

cwd /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman
    [path to appropriate python] -S cron/gate_news

(the latter command I got from list.org documentation about Mailman)...

The feedback I'm getting is (with server references changed):

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "cron/gate_news", line 274, in ?
    main()
    File "cron/gate_news", line 249, in main
    lock.lock(timeout=0.5)
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 243, in lock
    self.__write()
    File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 422, in __write
    fp = open(self.__tmpfname, 'w')
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/locks/gate_news.lock.server2.[[[DOMAIN.COM]]].12816.0'

(with domain.com being AFAICT the server's domain name, not my site's domain name... well, it's NOT my site's, but I believe it's either the specific server I'm on, or at least one of the servers of my hosting provider... a name I've seen a lot...)

I'm gathering that this has got to be site-wide, and that I would, of course, be locked out, being a mere user.

I'm gathering that I need to try and talk the hosting provider into running the cron job for me -- that if they run the cron job, it'll enable this functionality for everyone site-wide.

Does this make sense to anyone, and does anyone have any feedback that might help me? Does it sound like I'm on the right track?

I'm definately open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Thank you for your insights!

2. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

Did you (or anybody else for that matter) ever manage to get this working?

Mav.

3. wptechno

wptechno Active Member

run this command:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms -f

That will fix your permissions automatically.