manChicago

Registered
Apr 15, 2006
Ok First the apology- I KNOW this must have been dealt with elsewhere but I cant find it in google or on the search forums button because the words are just so generic...

Users cron dosnt seem to work....

Now, to get more specific - when adding a cron to the system through the Cpanel interface, it says its added, but dosn't seem to do anything. Going back into standard or advanced shows no crons there - just the add new crons part.

Im sure the root crons (ie into shell, sudo su, crontab -e ) are there and working fine, but I dont think any one elses crons can be added (and :. not running).

What stupidly simple thing have I done wrong?

Thanks
JT

manChicago

Registered
Apr 15, 2006
Hi,

In the /var/spool/cron there are only files for root and mailman - not for any of my users.

the /var/log/cron file shows no problems with any running crons.

I am of the belief that the web interface is not actually adding the commands to the cron system :S

The permissions on the spool directory are as follows:

drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Apr 15 15:41 cron/

are these sufficient? I have tried setting those to higher privildges but nothing changes when i go through the add cron procedure, (no files added, no crons appearing on the cron screen)

Thanks
JT

bijo

Aug 21, 2004
India
Hello,

Did you chack the cpanel error log?. If not try to add a cron job to a particular user through cpanel and check the cpanel error log (tail -f /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log). It will help you to find out the problem.

manChicago

Registered
Apr 15, 2006
Thanks and now fixed... sort of...

seteuid: Operation not permitted

Ahaar! Google now lets me getsomewhere- I tried adding a cron.allow file in /etc/exec but that didnt help, so looking on found me this:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2001-April/msg00535.html

[email protected] [/usr/bin]# ls -la crontab
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 114765 Jun 6 2003 crontab

[email protected] [/usr/bin]# chmod 4755 crontab
[email protected] [/usr/bin]# ls -la crontab
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 114765 Jun 6 2003 crontab*

Now I wonder why that was not right? (but it works now, thanks)

JT