The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cron update email upcp

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cybermonk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. cybermonk

cybermonk Member

I have one server that refuses to email me the output from a cron update. All the others give me the update report from cron no problem.

Looking at the logs it appears as though a crontab replace is toastin gthe email :-

2011-03-14 21:50:01 cwd=/root 7 args: /usr/sbin/sendmail -FCronDaemon -i -odi -oem -oi -t
    2011-03-14 21:51:50 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bV
    2011-03-14 21:51:51 cwd=/ 4 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bV -C /etc/exim.conf.buildtest.work.XjVpWSQunDjMIflN
    2011-03-14 21:51:51 cwd=/ 2 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bV
    2011-03-14 21:51:51 1PzFeL-0002yM-W2 SIGTERM received while reading local message
    2011-03-14 21:52:00 cwd=/ 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -bd -q60m
    NB. cron. ran at
    Mar 14 21:50:01 compb crond[10192]: (root) CMD (/usr/lib/sa/sa1 1 1)
    Mar 14 21:50:01 compb crond[10193]: (root) CMD (/scripts/upcp)
    Mar 14 21:50:01 compb crond[10198]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/cpanel/bin/dcpumon >/dev/null 2>&1)
    Mar 14 21:50:19 compb crontab[20173]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 21:50:20 compb /usr/bin/crontab[20175]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 21:50:20 compb crontab[20176]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 21:50:20 compb crontab[20178]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 21:50:20 compb crontab[20179]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 21:51:51 compb /usr/bin/crontab[24310]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 21:51:51 compb /usr/bin/crontab[24312]: (root) REPLACE (root)
    Mar 14 21:52:01 compb crond[26475]: (root) RELOAD (cron/root)

Cron's ability to email is not the issue. this one job upcp is the only one not getting emailed. The job itself is done according to the update logs.

The process is different on the machines that do send me the update email report ;

2011-03-14 02:56:11 1Pyxvx-0002RH-KD <= root@compa U=root P=local S=20220
    2011-03-14 02:56:16 1Pyxvx-0002RH-KD => trouble@xxx.me.xxx <root@compa> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=mx2.mydomain [85.92.75.15] X=TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256
    2011-03-14 02:56:16 1Pyxvx-0002RH-KD Completed

NB . cron ran at
    Mar 14 02:55:01 compa crond[9371]: (root) CMD (/scripts/upcp)
    Mar 14 02:55:12 compa crontab[9475]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 02:55:12 compa /usr/bin/crontab[9477]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 02:55:12 compa crontab[9478]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 02:55:12 compa crontab[9479]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 02:55:12 compa crontab[9480]: (root) LIST (root)
    Mar 14 02:58:01 compa crond[9856]: (root) CMD (/usr/local/bandmin/bandmin)

Any ideas ?
    I like to get that email so I know what LFD my be warning me about later.

2. JamesOakley

JamesOakley Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you solve it.

I got the same thing after my WHM installation updated to 11.30.0. I couldn't work out why the upcp mails weren't getting through.

Then I found your post, and discovered that it was attempted to reload cron that was making it all fall over. Ran crontab -e, and found that there was a duplicate entry in there (for exim_tidydb). I deleted that manually, and the upcp notifications got through OK.

It worked for me, so this may be the cause of this for someone else as well.

3. cybermonk

cybermonk Member

First of all my apologies. I didn't come back to this thread as I discovered a little problem with my FQDN of the box that was causing the problem. root@comp where comp was the box name plus my domain didn't exist, so all my cron jobs were sitting a field queue. Was kind of embarrassed about that and no one else seemed to be having my problem so I hoped this would all quietly go away !

Basically adding the machine name as a subdomain into DNS fixed my problem. there's a shock!

Now 11.30 Release has happened and guess what? No Cron emails again, just LFD reports of "FAILED the md5sum comparison test".

I searched for help and found my own post. I have checked the crontab -l and yes you are correct ; I also have two lines :-

0 6 * * * /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/exim_tidydb > /dev/null 2>&1

I also have another box (VPS this time) that has never had this problem and after 11.30 it now too has gone quiet at cron time. It also has the double "exim_tidydb" cron FEATURE!

I have dieted them down to only one "exim_tidydb" cronjob each and will post back if my cron emails start to arrive again. If not I will investigated further.

Thanks for updating the thread and here's crossing fingers.

4. JamesOakley

JamesOakley Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Glad you solved it before, and hope this fix works for you too. (I temporarily changed the time that upcp was scheduled for so that I could test the fix straight away, but you may want to wait until the next scheduled slot.)

I wonder if every 11.28 installation got that double entry when it upgraded, or if that only happened when certain other circumstances applied.

5. cybermonk

cybermonk Member

Yeah I'm going to just wait.

An eye on number of users watching the thread will tell us. I don't think it is every upgrade as I have others that worked fine. It may be a result of tinkering with the crontab. Adding rootkit hunter scan jobs manually etc may have tricked Cpanel's scripts for instance. The number of differences between just these two of mine and the others is mind boggling so tracking down the exact cause may be more trouble that it's worth.

Also the double cronjob may have been there before the upgrade and it is only now causing the problem.

Main thing is to see if we can fix it and let all the others know how !

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have found the same duplicate line entry in root crontab on a testing machine as well as having checked with another technician who has the same on an 11.30.0.25 box:

Code:
    root@sloth [~]# grep exim_tidydb /var/spool/cron/root
    I'm testing if the upcp emails aren't sending out due to this duplicate line, then if they send after removing the line. If that happens to be the case, I will be opening an internal case at that point and post back with the case number.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

7. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have opened up a case (50359) about the duplicate exim_tidydb lines in /var/spool/cron/root location. I was able to reproduce this happening on a system I upgraded from 11.28.83 to 11.30.0.25

I was unable to replicate the upcp emails not sending due to this duplicate line, however. I believe that the upcp emails not sending would have to be due to another issue. When I re-saved the WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area with an email address as well as WHM > Change System Mail Preferences with an email address, the upcp emails were sent to my address listed there despite the duplicate exim_tidydb lines in /var/spool/cron/root

8. cybermonk

cybermonk Member

No probs. But wait - Hey presto !

I'm updating to let you know that the only thing I did on both the VPS and the Dedicated was remove the duplicate exim_tidydb lines. Both Cpanel's are now sending through an email after the upcp cron job runs. Mystery fixed but full details still raising questions.

cPanelTristan, it may not happen all the time on every installation, I have no idea what combination of cron timing etc causes it, but it seems, certainly in this case, that removing the double crontab entry fixes it, just like it did with JamesOakley.

So all I can recommend thus far to anyone having this problem is check your /etc/crontab to make sure that the email is going to the right place. Check that the FQDN of the cron job sender - exists (DNS) and check your crontab -l for duplicate lines.

#8 cybermonk, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  9. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The duplicate entries existed on every single system I tested that upgraded from 11.28 to 11.30 but the upcp crons still sent after I saved the crontab. I do not believe that those duplicate lines are the cause, since the duplicate lines still exist in two of the installations and I'm receiving the cron emails for upcp regardless. Something is not properly loading the crontab with the mail preferences possibly as the issue? It is not the exim_tidydb entries being duplicated. It simply appeared to be that due to the fact the crontab was edited at the same time.

If you would like to test it, you could re-add the duplicate line and see the upcp cron will still send afterward.