The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxisgamer.net, Dec 24, 2004.

1. maxisgamer.net

maxisgamer.net Registered

I suggest that people monitor their hostees cron jobs, as someone on my site gave the following command and shut my server down. (How Embrarrasing!)

That shut everything down, and I had to email the colocator, and ask for a reboot. I had no reply within 2 hrs of asking for a urgent reboot, so I walked round to the data centre. It is only 5 mins from home. I had to explain to security, and they finally got it rebooted. I got to see my cage.

#1 maxisgamer.net, Dec 24, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Hmm, perhaps you should create this as a bug for cpanel in bugzilla.

Did this user have any special priviledges? Was it running as a root cronjob?

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

We do watch cron jobs. That's one of the many things I use my "monitor changes" script for. Every time a new cron job is added or modified, I know.

A few months ago that script stopped a spammer. We had a new client sign up on the monthly plan, paid $7, and an hour later I was notified of a new perl script uploaded to his account. I checked it and 5 minutes later his account was terminated.