The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crontab and Backups

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bltst2, Apr 15, 2014.

1. bltst2

bltst2 Member

I've moved from Legacy backups to the new Backup system via WHM. I noticed that backups were taking a longer time then normal and looked into crontab to investigate.

Under the 'root' crontab, I noticed the following:
    Is this normal? Should I have two instances of a 'backup' script running? Is one of these part of the legacy process and one part of the new system? Thanks...

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The "/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/cpbackup" script is for legacy backups. It's normal, from what I've seen, for both to exist in the crontab. However, if legacy backups are not enabled, the script won't actually do anything:

Code:
    root@ocelot [/etc]# /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/cpbackup
    info [cpbackup] Started at Tue Apr 15 09:38:07 2014
    [cpbackup] Backup Not Enabled (This can be adjusted in WHM => Backup => Legacy Backup Configuration)

If backups are taking longer than usual to complete, but are in fact completing, you might want to check what's going on with the server at the time. Is the load high (use sar -q)? Do you have very large accounts? Is the IO priority set too low (WHM -> Tweak Settings)?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, the previous post is accurate. Backups will only generate through those cron jobs when specifically enabled. Try reviewing the system during the backup process to see if the load/disk I/O is higher than it should be.

Thank you.