The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cross backup between two cPanel servers

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by netwood, Dec 4, 2013.

1. netwood

netwood Member

Is it possible to cross backup between two cPanel servers by setting up each one to backup to the other server in the remote FTP destination in the backup configuration?

Since I don't want to backup the backup's, the servers need to connect with FTP to a directory outside of "Home". Is it possible to create a user account (via SSH I assume) that has his home directory outside of "Home"? Will FTP work outside of "Home"?

I've only gotten this to work by backing up to a non cPanel server but would like it to work between cPanel servers.

//jonas

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, this type of setup could work. Assuming the accounts are used solely for storing backups, you could create a user via the command line and then setup a symbolic link from their home directory to a directory on another partition.

Thank you.

3. netwood

netwood Member

Thanks.
    Works great.

I flagged that user account to NOT be back'd up in case the backup would follow the symlink and backup the other server's backup.