Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Cross checking lfd warnings and cPanel updates

Discussion in 'Security' started by Volox, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Volox

Volox Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With lfd turned on, the system integrity checking alerts out every time a file gets updated. Although that is expected behavior, it causes me to log in and check the logs for the update to ensure the file modification is valid.

Is there a way to have CPanel emit an email when the update script runs so that if packages were updated it notifies that it happened?

That would at least allow me to know that the lfd alert isn't anything to be worried about since CPanel told me it updated the package. I'm hoping this is a feature that's just buried somewhere that I've forgotten or overlooked.

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's no facility that I am aware of.

One thing I might suggest, is to not use automatic updates for cPanel. This way you'll know when you are updating cPanel and when the LFD alerts come in you'll know that the two are related.

3. Volox

Volox Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would rather cPanel stay up to date and have to check the logs afterward than to fall out of date because I was trying to have eyes on the machine every time it updates.

I thought there used to be a function where cPanel would email the log of the update every time it ran. That would at least be better than nothing. Has that capability been removed?

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We send an email when the update fails but not on a successful update. You can manage/see these notifications by going to WHM>>Server Contacts>>Contact Manager

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Volox

Volox Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Any chance anyone has written a script that can be scheduled with cron which achieves this? I was hoping someone might share a solution so that I wouldn't need to re-invent the wheel.