The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSR Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ManXP, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ManXP

ManXP Well-Known Member

Hello,

One of clients want to install SSL certificate. He got dedicated IP address, but when he is trying to generate CSR via his cPanel, "Host" field is empty and it's not possible to choose anything from drop-down menu in this field.

If he fill out all other fields, an error comes: You must select a host that has a key

How is it possible to solve this issue? I've searched forums, but didn't find anything about this error message.

Any your ideas are very higly welcome

Thank you.

2. crwilliams

crwilliams Well-Known Member

I'm in the exact same situation myself. Did you figure this out? Anyone?

The service that sells the certificates says the server will create the key pair when it generates the CSR. But the cpanel SSL area says you must upload a key first in order to generate the CSR. I don't have the first clue where or how to do that.

3. crwilliams

What I've found so far is that doing any of this directly in the cpanel isn't going to happen. I got the CSR and key generated in WHM, using "Generate a SSL Certificate and Signing Request." This got me through the process of getting the certificate itself issued from the vendor.

I still cannot get the WHM to actually install the certificate, though. When I paste the issued certificate (which is the certificate file that is named domainname.crt) and the intermediate certificate (which is, confusingly, named issuing.crt) and then paste the key into their respective boxes, the Do It button is disabled. I've tried using Fetch to get the key, as google provided that as something to try when this happens, but still, I can't get the button to activate.

I've seen instructions to do this manually, by uploading the crt files and the key and then manually configuring the httpd.conf. But I don't have any idea where exactly these files should be uploaded.

Has anyone had to do this? Any ideas at all? Or any clues how to get the WHM to actually do the install?

Thanks.

4. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Just a small doubt, are you having the root pasword of the server. If not, then try to get our host involved. you need to be the root to trouble shoot it and fix it.

5. crwilliams

Well, yes, I'm in the WHM as root, not as a reseller.

It appears to fail, with the Do It button disabling itself as soon as I paste the actual cert text into the first box.

I wondered if maybe the server generated the self-signed cert when it generated the key and the CSR, so I searched via ssh and found the generic cert and removed it from the ssl directory, but still the form is disabling itself when I paste the text of the cert sent to me by the issuing authority.

It finds the key by itself, and pasting the intermediate certificate text doesn't disable the button, and neither does entering the domain info. It's only when I paste the actual cert text that the button disables and I can't go any further.

6. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Well you need to have a look and see so as to have an exact idea... Anyway rename the files in the /usr/share/ssl/certs and try to paste everything on WHM and see if that do makes any difference

7. crwilliams

Yep, tried that, too. First I renamed the files, then tried to paste it all in the WHM form. Then I tried moving those files out of the /usr/share/ssl/certs directory completely, and it still wouldn't work.

I'm absolutely positive that whatever the problem is, it's with the crt info once it's been pasted into that first block on the form for installing the cert and setting up the domain. That's exactly when the Do It button disables itself.

Just to experiment, I tried pasting the text of the server generated cert there, and the exact same thing happens as when I try to paste the purchased crt info. Whenever text for a cert is pasted into that crt block, the Do It button is immediately disabled. The page for the form refreshes quickly, and voila, no more Do It button enabled.

I also noticed that after that happens, the status indicator at the bottom of the Internet Explorer window has as error on it.

I can't help but think that either I've done something that's prohibiting a certificate being installed on the domain, or I've done something to break the utility for installing the cert.

8. aby

aby Well-Known Member

well ... can't figure out... without having a check... anyway

an update can help sometimes..

/scripts/upcp --force

9. nurseryboy

nurseryboy Well-Known Member

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? One of my clients has been trying to generate a CSR, but there is no Host in the dropdown.

Thanks,

Matthew

10. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

IIRC the cPanel feature has a bug that has been reported but not fixed yet.

I have disabled it so my clients can't use it.

You should offer to create it for them using WHM.

If WHM fails to work then this question has been addressed many times in the forums. Do a search for the specific issue you might have with generating a cert in WHM.

:)

11. acenetryan

acenetryan Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I haven't tried this out yet, but just going off of the first post to this thread:

"If he fill out all other fields, an error comes: You must select a host that has a key"

It seems you probably have to generate a KEY in cPanel before the host is selectable in the CSR area. I know that WHM generates them both at the same time, cPanel doesn't seem to operate this way.