The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious observation on backup speed

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by verdon, Aug 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I just recently switched from 'Legacy Backup' to the new 'Backup'. As far as I can tell, I have configured the new backup for the same behaviour as the legacy system was. I have a new server with an SSD drive, which is pretty quick. The legacy backups were taking 29 minutes to run and were running about 12:30 am. The new backup takes 47 minutes to run and starts at about 2:00 am.

Is this difference in speed of completion to be expected? At about 150%, it's actually a fairly significant difference.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You should first review the backup log in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/ to verify if the backup process was paused at any point in time due to the Extra CPUs for Server Load setting.

You can also browse to the "Compression" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" if you want to adjust some of the compression options to increase performance (Ensure you have sufficient resources to do so). The available options are documented at:

Tweak Settings - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

In addition, under the "System" tab, you may find the following option helpful:

"I/O priority level at which nightly backups are run (Maximum: 7)"
    You must compile ionice with your kernel to use this option. ionice manages I/O scheduling for processes on your system. Specifying a lower value for this option gives the process a higher priority. This option can accept integer values between 0 and 7.

Thank you.

ruzbehraja likes this.
  3. brt

brt Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a powerful server, but I still have max compression and limit it to one zip thread to keep any performance impact to a minimum. I don't mind if backups run for 8 hours, as long as they don't impact anything.

I would guess it's one of the settings cPanelMichael mentioned though.

cPanelMichael likes this.