The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious Sender Verify Failed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeteC, Mar 1, 2005.

1. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but I'm rather stumped.

The problem is that a certain valid e-mail address, which I can e-mail to/from via Hotmail, always gives "Sender Verify Failed" on my cPanel servers. Both outgoing, and incoming (I have sender verification enabled). I tested it from a variety of servers, in two different data centers, with various Linux versions, some with Mailscanner/ClamAV, some without, etc. It really seems that Exim just can't verify this one address. I don't know the algorithm Exim uses for sender verification and haven't dug through the Exim source code yet (that's my last resort I guess), so I was wondering if any Exim gurus can shed any light before I whip out the source code.

If it's of any relevance, this domain doesn't have an "A" record (no Web site), but it does have a valid "MX" record. I'll give the address here, because I know nobody can really help without it. Hopefully nobody will abuse this address, as it is a client of a client. Note, this address is on a Windows server, using some commercial e-mail server called MailMax 5.5. The address is: d r g at d r g e x c l u s i v e l y dot c o m.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The domain has an incorrect MX record. An MX record should not point to an IP address, it should point to an A record which points to an IP address, hence the problem that you're seeing. Nothing wrong with exim, the problem lies with the MX record for the domain.

3. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

I really ought to throw some $$$ your way just for all the help and benefit I've gained from you in these forums. You are tremendously appreciated...

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

My pleasure :)