Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED curl not working in JailShell

Discussion in 'Security' started by <esc>, May 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. <esc>

<esc> Member

I just got an request from a PHP developer who claims that curl is not working from PHP in a JailShell account while compiled into Apache. Is this a security feature or some misconfiguration on my side?

2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Neither, assigning an account to jailshell would have no impact on php's curl functionality. I would look at the phpinfo to verify that curl is in fact included with your php configuration and if it is then I would stick a simple curl example page on their site to show them that it is working.

I find sometimes that developers who cannot get something to work automatically assume that its php's fault and not the code, so giving them a working example on the same domain usually takes that off the table.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Can you let us know the specific curl command the developer is running from the user's jailed shell environment? Also, post any specific error messages that appear.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. <esc>

<esc> Member

Thank you every body replying. This issue is resolved ...

I routinely select curl among other options doing an new build of Apache but this time I overlooked it and nobody complained for about a year. Yesterday a developer tried to integrate a MailChimp connector into a WordPress site which showed an error in the front end, something like 'curl not found', and as I told him curl should be integrated he suggested that jailshell might be the culprit.

Erich Schreiber

#4 <esc>, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    cPanelMichael likes this.
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Erich,

I'm happy to see you were able to determine the cause of the issue.

Thank you for taking the time to update this thread with the outcome!