The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theDOG, Sep 26, 2003.

1. theDOG

theDOG Member

I need a site backup, for today. I ran /scripts/cpbackup and was told "Daily Backup is up to date." So now i'm running /scripts/pkgacct but would like to be assured that it will restore on another CPanel server, just like it was backed up there.

What happened is the database, (850MB), won't import via text query. It crashes the server. I don't know why, it's not my server.

So the plan is to copy over a backup, and have the host put it in the /backup directory, and restore it. Any reason this shouldn't work?

The host seems to think it's still gonna choke mySQL, but i don't see why it should since we're just overwriting files.

TIA
    JB

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. theDOG

theDOG Member

This seems like a pretty easy and straightforward question to me.

If i take a backup off of one CPanel server, put it in the backup directory of another, and then restore it, will it work? More or less?

I'm only mostly interested in getting the database in place, DNS issues or whatever can be fixed.

3. Jemshi

Jemshi Well-Known Member

if the

/scripts/pkgacct

is causing the server to crash due to large database, you could try the following steps.

1) take a tar.gz of his mysql databases - which is there in /var/lib/mysql/username_*

2) remove those database folders from /var/lib/mysql

3) use the script to generate backup - it will be there in /home/cpbackup/username.tar.gz

4) copy the backup and the mysql backup tar to the other server.

5) use /scripts/restorepkg username to restore the backup and setup the account there.

6) Once this is complete, just copy back the mysql to /var/lib/mysql , preserving permission and ownerships.

4. theDOG

theDOG Member

I guess i wasn't as clear as i thought i was. Sorry.

MySQL was choking on importing a text dump. We did what i said up there^ but it botched, the database was corrupt and about the time we got that fixed we found the account had disappeared from the listing.

/pkgacct worked fine for me, but i didn't know what to tell the new host to do with it. Now i do. Thanks!

5. Jemshi

Jemshi Well-Known Member

np :)