The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current/Edge Versions have another step to reboot services...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by driverC, Aug 16, 2005.

1. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

I realise the Current build has another step when you restart a service. I.e. when restarting Apache you do now have to confirm this.
    In my opinion this is not a good idea at all, because you usually restart a service when the server is overloaded and with a load around 100 it takes 5 minutes for each step so this additional step is another 5 minutes of downtime every time the server is overloaded.

If I was you I would not only remove that step but also make sure that service restarts operate at the highest possible priority. Also WHM should operate under the highest possible priority whereas CPanel shouldn`t simply because it should be possible to restart the services when the server is massively overloaded...

If everything fails the last thing that should still be working should be WHM/services restart.

#1 driverC, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  2. SubZero

SubZero Well-Known Member

it would be better if it has a toggle somewhere...

3. @home

@home Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

When your server is massively overloaded is in my opinion SSH a better way to restart services.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. Shell is where you should be determining where the problem is and what's causing the high loads and fixing that. Restarting services through WHM only adds additional load that you can do without under those circumstances.

5. 0utlier

0utlier Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that most times WHM will load faster than I can get a SSH session going when the load is high. Don't know if that's normal or not. Doesn't seem right, but I wouldn't lie to you.

6. richy

richy Well-Known Member

True, when the server is under heavy load, the unsecured WHM port is a lot faster then the encrypted WHM and SSH sessions.

I'd actually like a "Stop" option as well as a reboot option on WHM.

Perhaps a :2086/emergency/ option with a simple page with just the services listed with "Stop" and "Reboot" options would be an idea.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If it's important to you, then log a bugzilla enhancement request. Personally, I always find that shell access is the quickest method to login and diagnose a performance related issue.

8. richy

richy Well-Known Member

9. dario2

dario2 Member

It's better to have a JavaScript confirmation to pressing the restart links. The shell IS NOT ALWAYS available (having problems RIGHT NOW) or the fastest solution to restart a service, or even reboot it. Chirpy, you are not a system admin. and you don't know what the pressure is like to have customers rant at you over the phone when a service goes down. ONE NEEDS WHM to respond as quickly as possible!

-Dario

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should be more careful about making such assumptions. I've been a sys admin for nearly 20 years and have a wealth of experience with such matters and dealing with customers :rolleyes:

I deal with clients from these very forums on a daily basis with server performance issues and SSH access is the tool of the trade.

#10 chirpy, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  11. richy

richy Well-Known Member

I was going to say something like that - chripy does have "the knowledge" and experience and has a host of customers (we've used him for MailScanner installations which involved him being trusted to log into our servers to install "his own" software without breaking things etc). It doesn't necessarily mean he's right all the time, but just most of the time :)

The Javascript confirmation sounds alright to me, but what should be the default action if Javascript isn't supported (i.e. from a cellphone - you can just navigate WHM without frames support, but if it actually depends on Javascript...).

I notice that Nick has already marked by suggestion in bug http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=3065 as a "blocker" meaning it should be in v10.6 of cPanel (baring any problems). It should be a good "meeting of the minds" (instant reboots/restarts when necessary, but on a separate screen so you can't accidentally trigger them whilst in normal WHM).

12. driverC

driverC Well-Known Member

Yes, shell does often take longer to load then WHM when the server is overloaded. Also what do you do if SSH breaks down but WHM is still running ? Then you need to log in and wait longer because of the additional step. And that step doesn`t really help anything. It is just more work when you want to restart.