The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CURRENT: Missing webmail icons (horde, neomail) - WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-R82

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Ishware, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /horde/index.php ERROR 401 forbidden - WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-R82

Okay, read the bottom of this post to find out what was happening at first... After doing it, now what I'm getting is a 401 error (access denied) when I click the Horde icon in webmail:

The server was not able to serve the document (/horde/index.php) you requested
    Either your individual settings or the server configuration prevent
    the requested content from being served.

Any ideas?

------------- Original Message Follows: ---------------

CURRENT: Missing webmail icons (horde, neomail) - WHM 10.1.0 cPanel 10.2.0-R82 on Fedora i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

This morning, I awoke to IMs from clients telling me that they couldn't access webmail. After a short investigation, I determined that one can log into webmail, but there are no icons for Horde or Neomail (I disabled Squirrelmail just as fast as I could when I got the server a few months ago...). The rest of the page and functions are there (change password, etc).

Manually attempting to go to :2095/horde/index.php doesn't work - I get a 401...

This morning, I ran several scripts, including /upcp --force, and the two *horde* scripts... To no avail.

So I downgraded from CURRENT to RELEASE. Looked like a fix, so I was happy. I came back later to find that emails were failing upon sending with the following error:

Time::HiRes object version 1.65 does not match $Time::HiRes::XS_VERSION 1.72.

So..... that being a WORSE problem than my customers checking webmail not being able to do so, I promptly upgraded from RELEASE back to CURRENT. And now have the disappearing icons again.

So.

I'm poking around in /3rdparty on the server to see if I can figure out some sort of manual fix, but I really don't know cPanel well enough... I'm a budding PHP programmer, and I've been a DOS/Windows geek since 1987, so it's not that I"m dumb, I'm just working a little outside my area of expertise...

Does anyone have any suggestions? If something comes to mind regarding manually getting those icons in there, could someone get me pointed to some info out there? I looked, and I apparently am not hitting the right keywords to find anything that looks helpful...

Thank you for your consideration of my hell... er, I mean problem. ;-)

#1 Ishware, Aug 12, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  2. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/webmaillogin.cgi

Well, just because I posted that message doesn't mean I stopped poking around...

/usr/local/cpanel/base/webmaillogin.cgi

Ran across this file... Looked in there, and changed the code a bit. There's some code in there about (translated into English) "If we have the option to skip HORDE, don't display the following"; and inside that IF was the code to display the Horde icon.

I removed the IF wrapper, and it displays the icon.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the 401 when I click the icon. So.

I think the problem is the access denied for Horde now...

:(

3. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

Did you check the /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/skin-name/images/ folder....horde.gif and neomail.gif should be there for showing properly in mail page.

5. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, as I said two posts up: :p

It wasn't the missing icons themselves that were the problem - it was missing code that pointed to Horde and Neomail.

But as I stated above, my problem is now that Apache is giving me an ERROR 401 for /horde/index.php and any other files I try to access.......

So in other words:

It doesn't matter if I authenticate to the webmail control panel, then click the link from there to go to /horde/index.php, or if I go to /horde/index.php itself. Either way, I authenticate, and once I get to /horde/index.php, I get error 401.

I don't know how to tell Apache that's it's okay to serve that document....... I don't know where to check for that. :-(

#5 Ishware, Aug 12, 2005
  6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have you tried the obvious and run:

/scripts/upcp --force

Remember that Horde does not run in the httpd daemon that your accounts use, it runs in one specific to cPanel.

7. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for your reply! :D

My apologies for not mentioning it -- yes, I have run /scripts/upcp --force.

I also tried the resethorde and fullreset horde ones, as well as IIRC one called fixwebmail (I'm not in SSH atm)...

Running the /scripts/upcp -- force overwrites the /usr/local/cpanel/base/webmaillogin.cgi file, which puts those IF wrappers around the link to Horde and Neomail (I unisntalled Squirrellmail), which means the links disappeared again from the webmail control panel.

I don't know what THAT is a symptom of... but it's surely not good. heh.

I did, for grins, rename the horde folder and run a upcp --force, which seemed to properly install horde again -- at least, it created a horde folder, and seemed to set up everything as it had been before... :)

------

Regarding the httpd that horde runs under-- I assumed it was running under a copy of Apache, but now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense...

Is there any information out there for the daemon it does run under that might help me figure out how to play with the permissions?

I mean, I'm beginning to grok how Apache operates; I'm slowly getting the skills to understand more and more of this stuff... so I might be able to poke around and figure some things out...

#7 Ishware, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wtf?

In other news, the bluelagoon theme has **disappeared** off my server.

WTF?!?!?!?!

I had everything set for bluelagoon. It was working earlier this morning - but when I just went back into cPanel, I got a 404. So I went to check the list of installed themes, and bluelagoon is GONE.

Nur?

I went into the add-on themes, and it was still checked -- so I unchecked it and uninstalled it. When I went back to that screen, both it AND monsoon were unchecked - so I clicked to install them both, and they're back...

That's. Just. ODD.

#8 Ishware, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does anyone know if I'd be able to reinstall cPanel without losing all the sites set up on this server? The cPanel license isn't mine, it's the datacenter's, although this is a dedicated server...

I really wish I knew how to mess with cPanel's http daemon! :-(

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you're going to try reinstalling cPanel (where upcp --force is usually sufficient) then you're probably better off taking backups of your user accounts through WHM and then storing them out of the way and having the OS wiped and cPanel installed afresh and then restore your user accounts.

11. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There's a couple of possiblilities for the 401 errors. Perhaps you have configured Tweak Settings to skip Horde. Another may be that the Features for the account do not include Webmail. If both of those are configured properly, then please send me a PM, and I'll see where the problem lies. Reinstalling cPanel should not be necessary at all.

Bluelagoon disappearing is a different issue I believe, and if you PM me I'll look into that as well.

12. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Oh.

My.

Goddess.

I'd feel like a COMPLETE idiot, except for the way things went down......

About a **week and a half ago**, and I emphasize this timeframe, I was editing the feature lists, locking them down.... Yeah, you'll see where this is going, but bear with me.

I thought the "webmail" in the feature list would simply disable the "webmail" link from cpanel itself.

The fact that my clients who were using webmail didn't complain that they couldn't receive email until *two days ago*, with a **definate** delay of at LEAST four days, and I think more like 6-7 days, meant that instead of it happening right after, where I could say "Hmm, what was I just doing that might have had anything to do with anything?", it was multiple days later.........

That's. Just. WEIRD.

It doesn't explain the bluelagoon issue, either, which also worries me. But the bluelagoon issue was solved - at least for now - by my unchecking and rechecking that option in the.. uh... whichever WHM option you can check bluelagoon and monsoon...

So.

Uh.

.......Problem solved with the webmail.

Now, one of the threads I referenced above dealt with "disappearing webmail icons"... I wonder if they carefully shot themselves in the foot as well in the same way?

(In my own defence, one of the many things I did do was to uncheck and recheck Horde and Neomail in Tweak Settings.)

(Oh, and I'm glad to report that disabling the check in webmaillogin.cgi does not provide a workaround for accessing Horde. In fact, you get an HTML 401 Forbidden error message in such a case, as I can attest to.....)

Thank you very very much for happening to mention what was surely the blazingly obvious...

I do wish I could find better documentation on **exactly** what each of the options in the features lists does... I've done some experimentation, but combined with the non-immediate loss of webmail, it has absolutely given me two days of rigorous hell; the only upside is that I have gained some insight into how cPanel works on some levels... :-D

/me blushes and slinks off to go hide in the shadows...

(I did tech support and helpdesk for 6 years, dammit... *mutter, mutter, mutter*)