Custom A records and let’s encrypt

Duxx

Registered
Jan 27, 2022
US
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi everyone,
I setup a VM unrelated to Cpanel and wanted to run let’s encrypt ceetbot but for the subdomain which I just have a custom A record configured in the zone for the server name.

I’m guessing I’m out of luck as I can’t seem to make an empty sub domain dns zone in Cpanel and my only options are

1. Bu a custom wildcard certificate
2. Remove the domain from Cpanel

Or is there away around this issue I’d rather not spend money on a wildcard cert.

thanks.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! I'm not 100% certain how cPanel comes into play with your description. Are you saying the hosting is all on the unrelated VM but your DNS is on the cPanel machine?

Let's say you have domain.com and sub.domain.com. If you make sure there are no entries for sub.domain.com inside the main zone file for domain.com, you can create a unique cPanel account for sub.domain.com, or just a zone file for the subdomain. It wouldn't be able to be empty, but would have the minimum amount of entries included with a default zone on your system.

I think from your description you can just separate the subdomain A record into a unique zone file - if that's all you need to get things working, that should do the trick.

Duxx

Registered
Jan 27, 2022
US
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi CPRex,

Sorry for not being clear created the thread on my phone.

100% correct in your recap domain.com is hosted as the master domain on the CPanel server when I set it up.
I've created an A record to abc.domain.com so getting to the server is easier than the IP address which is different than the CPanel server.

while typing out this response it occurred to me that when the cert bot process was asking for URL it was expecting to find a DNS zone called abc.domain.com but one doesn't exist because I'm just using the A record.

So I think your correct is there a way to simply create a new DNS zone without having to create a subdomain within CPanel as I don't need the accounts, folders etc. that get created when you create a standard subdomain.

This would be considered multi-level DNS zones is this allowed with in CPanel and how many levels can you create? A link to any documentation would be great.

Thank you for your response I think part of this issue is me not 100% fully understanding the ask as part of the cert process.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the explanation. If all you need is the DNS record you can just go to WHM >> Create a DNS Zone and create a unique zone for the subdomain. It doesn't have to be associated with any account that way and won't require hosting or files or any of that. It will require that you don't have the abc.domain.com record in the main zone, as that would cause a conflict.