The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom DNS & Account suspension question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by knipper, Feb 16, 2010.

1. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Hi All,

If I suspend an account that has some custom DNS settings (i.e. e-mail and FTP to different servers) when the account is suspended does that change or suspend the DNS zone?

Or will I have to manually change the DNS, then when I un-suspend, change the DNS back to the correct settings?

In other words, I want to suspend the account and STOP all the dns changes as well. then when I turn the account back on, go back to normal.

Thanks in advance. :D

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    It is not possible for the suspended cPanel account user to modify their DNS zone until their account is unsuspended; however, as root (i.e., the server administrator) you may apply any change that is desired.

Normally DNS will continue to resolve and function as intended; this is by design. From my experience the only time I see DNS intentionally stop working is when a domain registration has expired or is suspended by the domain registrar. If the need is to prevent normal DNS functionality then it would require manual modification to implement the desired restriction.

When allowing the DNS zone to continue to be served it will ensure there is no delay when unsuspending the user's cPanel account. Please note that while an account is suspended normal web site access is restricted and instead there will be a suspended page that displays for any access attempts to web sites or domains setup on the account.

For reference, the suspended page may be customized via WHM at the following menu path:
    WHM: Main >> Account Functions >> Web Template Editor

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I believe that as long as the DNS zone exists unaltered that the custom entries pointing to other server(s) would still be served and function normally; if needing this type of functionality (to "suspend" DNS service) I would consider posting a feature request in the following forums area: Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums