The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom DNS problem....

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by awesome_aims, Jun 15, 2006.

1. awesome_aims

awesome_aims Registered

Hi everyone. My problem is that my custom nameservers are not working, and I've tried almost everything, tutorials, you name it. I've already registered the dns with my registrar and pointed them to my nameserver IP's. I've already set them in WHM and pointed them to the IP's AND I created A records for them. I have also configured my /etc/resolv.conf file. I don't know whats left to do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

since when have you register the name server, if you have just register the name server, it will take some times for it to fully resolve... if you may just provide the name server, perhaps we able to share the knowledge with you further ;)

3. awesome_aims

awesome_aims Registered

Hey, I did this a few days ago, the site is teamawesomewebs.com and the nameservers are ns1 and ns2.''. To me, since this is my first time doing this, I just think I may have done something wrong, not sure. So how long could these take to resolve? Thanks.

4. bmcgrail

bmcgrail Well-Known Member

Server Name: NS1.TEAMAWESOMEWEBS.COM
    IP Address: 207.218.192.38
    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com

It sounds like you have a dedicated server. 207.218.192.38 is the IP for ns3.ev1.net. and your ns2 points to the ip of ns4.ev1.net. ev1's name servers will not know anything about the domains on your server.

You need to log into enom and change the IP's for these name servers to the IP's of your server.

If you can do an nslookup teamawesomewebs.com from the command prompt on your server everything should start working almost immediately after you change the IP's with the registar.

5. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you set up the nameserver IP's on your server? You can do this via WHM. Networking Setup --> Nameserver IPs --> Assign an ip for a new nameserver:
    Nameserver:

6. awesome_aims

awesome_aims Registered

Hi, What I did was assign the IP's that were used for the default nameservers to my new nameservers through WHM... Is that was I did wrong? My server came with one IP but there is an option to add new IP's through WHM, should I do this then assign them to these IP's? Thanks.

7. bmcgrail

bmcgrail Well-Known Member

You can't just add IP's in WHM. They have to be assigned to you by your internet or server provider first.

Yes, make ns1 at your registrar the IP of your server. Ideally you would have a secondary name server somewhere else but most people just have 2 IP's for the server and point ns2 to the second IP of their server. Check with your provider and see if they will do secondary name services for you, otherwise order a second IP address and point NS2 to that. Most dedicated servers come with a small block of IP's so check with your provider.

For the immediate future you can change ns1 to your servers IP address and leave ns2 alone. When people query ns2 it will fail as non-authorities and fall back to ns1 resolving the correct IP for your sites.