The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom 'group' that includes 'nobody'

Discussion in 'Security' started by PhilGlau, Nov 3, 2010.

1. PhilGlau

PhilGlau Active Member

Nov 3, 2010

New to cPanel. We run only our own corporate websites on our box.

On a previous system, (Ensim), we were able to set up a custom group that allowed the Apache/PHP process to run files, but a similar method doesn't seem to be working on cPanel. I'm probably doing something wrong... :eek:

Here's the idea:

Lets assume that we have 'site1' and 'site2'.

Normally in the public_html directory of each, the files would need to be set up as:

"site1:nobody" and "site2:nobody" (usr:grp) in order for PHP on cPanel to run the files using DSO mode.

Due to a variety of reasons, we'd prefer to have other users also be able to access the files other than just the members of 'nobody'.

On the previous box, I created a group called 'www' which included the users I wanted appended to that group.

Group 'www' would have users 'site1', 'site2','nobody', 'customuserA','customuserB', etc.

When I tried that on cpanel and then chgrp the files to 'www', I get the Internal Server Error 500 even though 'www' includes 'nobody' as a user???

Since 'nobody' is a user on the group 'www', why am I getting the Internal Server Errors? I'm assuming that somewhere a policy is being enforced that either the user or the group MUST be 'nobody'. How do I change this?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm liking cPanel a lot more than Ensim already... Upgrading Apache & PHP is a snap!