The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom home dir... etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vogue, Mar 19, 2004.

1. vogue

vogue Registered

Hello,

I've got a fairly custom config.

All config files in /etc/conf/<service>/*

And home dirs are the website name i.e. : /www/t/e/www.testdomain.com/html

-----

My question is, what is the best way to make cpanel work with these quirks in the setup?

It looks like the create user script and such are compiled in whostmgr. I could probably edit the C or perl to work with my setup if I could see it.

But I can't, so I'm just looking for someone knowledgeable to tell me how I should go about doing this, I can think of a few ways, but I'm really looking for the standard/best way. I can write the scripts (eventually)... just want to make sure I'm doing it right before I jump in and mess things up.

Thank you very much,
    Ben

2. vogue

vogue Registered

Well, as I see it, that wo uld mean I have to give up my chroot. apache + suexec + chroot... and i really don't want to do that.

homedirs need to AT LEAST be /whatever/user/./home, if cpanel can't do that... that I dunno... pretty sad.

3. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

I think I understand what you are asking. Here is snapshot of a portion of the WHM - Edit Setup screen that allows you to specify your homedirs.....

Attached Files:

4. vogue

vogue Registered

Yes, I see that. But there's no way for it to create directories the way I want it to.

/www/<first letter>/<second letter>/<domain>/html

That, and since all the paths for the conf files seem to be hard coded, I can't move anything, or organize anything the way I want it, and still have cpanel work.

I was taught hard code = bad code... hopefully I can get this server I've setup downgraded, so I don't have to pay for something I can't use, and don't have to start over again on a different server.

Ahh well... if it was open source it would be great. I could change the scripts and make them work with my setup.