The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom hostname/server name for reseller

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sindre, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Sindre

Sindre Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a WHM reseller account, and the default hostname is of the form box1.myprovider.com, apparently set up through a PTR record of the shared IP.

The problem is, my providers hostname will show on my cPanel client's email headers, cPanels, etc. which I find unprofessional.

Is it possible for my provider to put my reseller account on a dedicated IP tied to my own hostname, which are shown to my clients instead of my providers hostname/shared IP?

This way I imagine my dedicated IP will be used in the DNS Zone when new domains/accounts are added in my WHM as well?

Looking forward hearing from you.

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Yes, you can certainly change the hostname from WHM:-> hostnames. In the meantime if you create hostname like abc.domainname.com then you need to create the “abc” A record for domainname.com from DNS zone editor option.

3. Sindre

Sindre Well-Known Member

Thank you for your answer. The problem is I don't have any 'Hostnames' option within my WHM. I guess it has been disabled by my provider. Just to make it clear; this is not a dedicated server where I have root access. I guess there are other resellers as well, will it still be possible for each reseller to have its own hostname?

And will this hostname then be used in the email headers, and other places where my end-clients may see it?

4. MaestriaNick

MaestriaNick Well-Known Member

No, per reseller setting is not possible for hostname. So, this cannot be changed. Also, mails from cpanel will be coming from the hostname (like root@hostname ), so that too cannot be changed.