The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cmanns, Jul 26, 2008.

1. cmanns

cmanns Member

Nov 22, 2006
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could someone please give me a basic overview on how cpanel/whm's apache 2.2 MPM worker and mod_fcgid work?

I got php5cgi tuned up better than before (I used LightTPD and php-cgi compiled) I know everyone says "use package manager!" but I've been accustomed to compiling php-cgi a lot it's very simple for me, I still use package managers for things like GD2 and such so it's simple but for the actual php package I do myself.

On my debian server the differences between custom php5-cgi and debian's apt-get was lowered cpu time and memory consumption for the custom compiled and the apt-get was much quicker, the switch to the custom was pretty much only building the configure line which I have a script for now.

I don't know if php-cgi on apache needs special flags over LightTPD and friends, nor do I know how it's controlled (I'd like less fcgi processes per domain)

So any info on this would be nice.

Edit: please don't moan about me wanting to compile php myself, it's been apparent many times that compiling things yourself can often be faster. I'm not looking to overwrite cpanel's php, most likely just point to a new directory and modify the files that generate the confs, if it doesn't work better of course I'd just switch back and look elsewhere for the issue.
    #1 cmanns, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008