The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom scripts - going public soon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PWSowner, Feb 20, 2004.

1. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Due to supply and demand, (or requests and work done ;) ), I have decided to put up a new section on my website for custom scripts, and script customizations.

By request, and my own needs, I have written a few custom scripts for cPanel, WHM, and backend jobs. I'm just finishing up another one now, and in the next week or 2, I will make all my scripts publicly available.

If you are looking for custom scripts, or want to get one written, bookmark this page and check back early March.
    http://www.premierwebsitesolutions.com/scripts/

Another great place for useful scripts is Juanra's site at:
    http://html.conclase.net/cp/scripts/

When I put my scripts section up, I will also have links to any other script providers who want to be linked. If you have such a site, or provide such a service, let me know and I will put up a link.

2. PWSowner

Input wanted

I'm starting to work on my custom scripts section now. I have a few that I have written for others by request, and a few I have written for myself.

When I write a custom script for others, I do it for next to nothing because I like writing scripts, and I like helping others because I got a lot of help at first also. I charge a very small fee to write a custom script, but then don't normally charge anyone else who wants to use it. Since I am trying to make a fairly new business successful, I can't spend a lot of time working for next to nothing, so I need to decide what to do with my upcoming custom scripts section, and thought I'd get input from those interested.

I'm thinking of several options and would like to know which one you would prefer.

1. free access to all scripts once they go public with an option to make a donation
    2. cheap membership for access to all scripts (one time $10 fee)
    3. small fee per script to download ($5 each)
      [/list=1]

I prefer option #1 but I know from experience that freewill donations are very rare and if no donations are ever made, I just won't be able to spend much time writing new scripts or improving existing ones.

Which option do you think I should go with? My decision will be the majority vote March 6.

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I of course like option #1.:)
    What about going with #1 and then if it doesn't work switching to 2 or 3?

4. PWSowner

#1 would work. I just wouldn't spend much time on the scripts if nobody makes donations.

If a paid option is chosen, anyone paying to have a custom script created would automatically have access to all scripts.

By the way, my post count is catching yours. ;) We're both in the top 10 now, but we're still both behind dgbaker. ;)

5. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

what about 2 & 3?

you have a list and description of current scripts available - those who want all or most can purchase membership.

While users who find only one or two of your scripts helpful to them can pay per script and be happy :)

6. PWSowner

That's a possibility also. It gets a bit more complicated though, but I can write a script to handle it. ;)

7. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Ha, ha. Where do you see the top 10? Is there a way to check? I'm sure dgbaker will always be in the lead. Probably 3/4 of my posts are me asking for help, anyway. Yours and his are mostly helping others.:p

8. PWSowner

"members" link
    "top 10 posters"
    or here

Check out some of my older posts. They are almost all questions, not answers. I didn't start answering questions until after I learned a few things from the others here.

9. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

i like 2, it will give you the insentive to keep it up to date and will keep cheep bumbs out.

10. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Cool. I've never noticed that before. Since I've got a head start on you I'll have to start posting more often. :)

Okay, I'll quit taking your thread on a tangent.

11. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Hmmm....

Why not setup something like Kozmo has with Fantastico (naturally, autoinstalling your scripts).

Charge one fee for access to all scripts, licensed users would get updates and addons for X period of time, or for life (either theirs or yours;).

12. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Just a suggestion, mind you, take it for what it is worth.

I run the cpanelhelp.org site, and while we used to put links in for contributions, no one ever gave a one, so we stopped doing that. I have no plans to charge for the site.

But, the site itself has generated a fair amount of business for me in the management realm, installing and performing some of the tasks they see there that they do nto want to take on themselves.

I was about ready to throw it all away a while back, but then when some new clients started coming in, it has more than made up for the time I spend on it.

Jon

13. PWSowner

Auto install would be too complicated and time consuming at this time. The scripts will have detailed instructions.

Whether I choose pay or free, anyone who pays for a script or membership would automatically be notified of updates for life. That's not long though since I'm 40 now. :rolleyes:

I doubt the scripts section will bring much for new clients since the main business is hosting and pretty much everyone here is either providing hosting, or already has it, there aren't many potential clients for PWS.

For anyone interested, the page now has a list of some of what will be going there. Should be content early next week.

#13 PWSowner, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  14. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    $10.00 for a Life Time Subscription

I'd pay that in a New York minute. :D

15. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

new york minit ay. well i wouldent be as keen however i would pay

16. PWSowner

You wouldn't need to since you and 1 other person are the 2 who are paying for the creation of the rollover bandwidth script. If I do choose a paid option, whenever someone pays for the creation of a custom script, they would automatically have access to all scripts.

17. raventec

raventec Well-Known Member

Even I can afford $10 for a useful script. Keep us posted squirrel :)

18. PWSowner

I've made my decision. It'll be both free and paid. :confused: you say?

Well, all scripts will be available publicly for free, and there will be an option to become a paid "member" for lack of a better word for a one time fee of $10 US.

Members of my "scripts club" will have advantages, and for $10 everyone should sign up. ;)

Members will:
    • be added to a mailing list to be informed of new scripts, or changes or improvements to existing ones
    • be eligible to make requests for a minor customization for no extra charge
    • be able to request help with a script at no extra charge
    • have the satisfaction of knowing they are having an impact on the future of my scripts

I will have the membership option and a few of my scripts up in the next few days. If anyone wants to become a member now, email me at customscripts@premierwebsitesolutions.com.

Anyone who has requested, or ever does request, a custom script, and paid/pays for it's creation, is automatically a member.

19. raventec

raventec Well-Known Member

you can count on one customer here at $10 Squirrel. Looking forward to a couple that you have listed already. :D

20. PWSowner

2 of the scripts are now on the page. The rollbandwidth and the WHM mount/unmount backup scripts are there. The mount/unmount one is a very simple script, but very handy.