The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custome Name Servers Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by donnyouyang, Apr 25, 2005.

1. donnyouyang

donnyouyang Registered

Ok, this is what I got from my Reseller Hosting Provider:

2GB Webspace
    30GB Bandwidth
    WHM/Fantastico
    Unlimted Everything Else
    Personalized Nameservers.

Other Server Info:
    WHM 10.0.0 cPanel 10.1.0-R30
    CentOS 3.4 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

I'm trying to figure out the 'Personalized Nameservers' part. My Reseller Hosting Provider (RHP) wants me to point my domain to ns1.hisdomain.com and ns2.hisdomain.com after I get the reseller, and he set up my account for me, and I saw that my domain is hosted on the reseller with unlimited everything, except for Webspace(2GB) and Bandwidth(30GB). Now, I saw that my domain is still pointed to ns1.hisdomain.com and ns2.hisdomain.com, and I was my own member using my own reseller, so that ment other people have to point their domain to ns1.hisdomain.com and ns2.hisdomain.com also. I want other people to point their domains to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com instead. I registered my domain through Netfirms, and I don't really know how to do that. I don't know how DNS works, and please tell me exactly how to do this. Believe me, I'm a real n00b at DNS. Thanks :confused:

2. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused, but let's see if I can help....

You asked your hosting provider to set you up a reseller account with Custom/Personalized nameservers. You already have a domain registered you plan to use as the nameserver. The domain is registered via NetFirms. At NetFirms, if you haven't already done so, you will need to make up a DomainServer or HostServer record (different registrars call them different things) for your domain name - but I'm assuming from your post that you have done this in the past because you already had domains hosted on your nameserver with another provider. Your new provider should have given you at least 2 IP addresses to use for your ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com - those are the IPs you'll need to provide on the form for the DomainServer/Hostserver at Netfirms. Note that this is different than making changes to your nameservers. If your provider didn't send you IP addresses to use for your namservers, then you'll need to contact them - it's not uncommon to have to REMIND some of them of what you ordered.

3. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

go to your domain registrar and register the IP addresses for your name servers, you'll probably need to wait up to 72 hours for them to propagate and then you can start using your private name servers.

4. donnyouyang

donnyouyang Registered

Well, untill the last part, you understand perfectly. Well, right now my domain that I registered from Netfirms is pointed to ns1.hisdomain.com and ns2.histdomain.com, and everything works. I just want to make it ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com instead of his domains. I don't know how to do that, and the IP addresses are the one's that ns1.hisdomain.com and ns2.hisdomain.com uses. I did what you told me at Netfirms a long time ago, and after 75 hours, it still doesn't work. Thanks.