The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customers deleting important files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by protocol, Jun 20, 2006.

1. protocol

protocol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We seem to have problems with customers deleting via FTP everything in there account before uploading their web site. i.e. deleleting public_html, mail, etc directories etc.

This is a pain to fix as we end up either restoring a backup of the account of recreating it. Is there a way of stopping this happening either by not giving the user rights to delete or forcing the ftp server to send them into public_html first by default?

Thanks

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

No, there is no way to stop them from deleting the necessary files except spanking those clients :). Basically all files in the user's account are owned by user and they should be so you should explain your clients the importance of those directories.

A better approcah is to open a thread in your forum (I guess you must have a forum) and explain the account's directory sturcture and make it sticky so that the new clients can go through that thread and know the importance.

3. protocol

PartnerNOC

oh well. Thanks. We will have to make it a little clearer to them then.

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

actually i have seen FrontPage do this when you try to publish without http:// . It goes into FTP mode and a box will pop-up and say. The current remote web contains the following files and folders that are not present in your local web. .. would you like to delete and replace them? yes / no

People never see that they are under public_html and the folders it is talking about are mail, public_html, .. bla. If they were to install FP extensions it might save them this greif.

5. protocol

PartnerNOC

Yeah, the client that sparked this is a frontpage user publishing to ftp://... Althought we always encourage publishing to http://.. they don't always get it. :-(

It is a shame that the important conf files and even the mail cannot be stored somewhere else. I think other control panel systems may do it this way.