Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Customizing cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoWilkes, Aug 20, 2012.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Due to an error on my end (stupid typo) while configuring httpd.conf last night, I had about an hour where anyone visiting my site was redirected to cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi.

The error is fixed now, but anyone using Chrome that visited the site last night while I had an error is still being redirected to defaultwebpage.cgi.

This appears to be a minor caching problem. I've had a few people to email, and I've told them to go to example.com/?z=1; the dummy variable is bypassing the cache, and then it works. But of course, there's no way of knowing how many people are still seeing the defaultwebpage.cgi, but HAVEN'T emailed.

I tried to recreate defaultwebpage.cgi at /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/ with a regular Perl script, changed the permission to 0755, and chown to root:wheel, but I still get an ISE. I see that the original defaultwebpage.cgi is either compiled or encrypted, though, so I'm guessing that I can't run a regular script here?

Here's the script that I tried:

#!/usr/bin/perl

$home = "http://$ENV{'HTTP_HOST'}";
    $time = time();

print "Location: $home/?z=$time\n\n";
    exit;

Is there something else that I need to do to this script in order to make it run, or are ASCII scripts simply not allowed in /cgi-sys/?

2. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For anyone else following this...

Apparently, the error actually goes to /usr/local/apache/htdocs/index.html, which then redirects to /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi. So, I can change the META redirect instead of dealing directly with defaultwebpage.cgi.

It's not exactly the solution I wanted, but it works for this error.