The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customizing Tomcat for a user

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by tutt, Apr 24, 2014.

1. tutt

tutt Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We had a user sign-up and he mainly wants to use Tomcat. In fact, he said this:

"This is the general setup we would like: When WHM is used to instantiate a new CPanel "instance" the following happens: 1) A copy of tomcat 7 is installed for that account and associated with the cpanel account URL for the default web application. Tomcat admin username and password defaults to the same for cpanel. All HTTP requests that come into apache get forward to tomcat (not just .jsp and .do)."

I know most of this is done by default when Tomcat is added via EasyApache. I know a new "instance" doesn't need to be created each time. However, having not much experience with java, how can I associate all extensions with Tomcat? Should I be using AddHandler directives in .htaccess for him and put them in the skel direcotory?

Please tell me how I can make his request a reality.. He is also suggesting a folder "sitecontent" that would parse regular .html/.php/etc as normal for each account.

What can I do?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

While it does not directly answer the specific questions you have, the following guide is a good place to start to understand how exactly Tomcat works when enabled through EasyApache:

Tomcat JSP and Servlets Guide

I will leave this thread open for input from other users regarding configuring rules that would have Tomcat serve other types of requests.

Thank you.

3. tutt

tutt Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I ended up installing ngasi which I think will allow him to give his individual clients more control.

With that in mind, how can I most easily forward all Apache requests to Tomcat? Can I set this up with mod_jk or should I use mod_proxy? If I do it, can I do it globally so it doesn't need to be added to each vhost everytime a new domain is added? Please point me in the right direction.