The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DA DNS to cPanel?

Discussion in 'Migrate to cPanel' started by ne0shell, Jan 21, 2011.

1. ne0shell

ne0shell Well-Known Member

We have a couple of domains on a DA server which we use to provide DNS only for hosting lines of business. I've setup a cPanel server and migrated most of our in house sites over but I need a simple way to import all the DNS zones from the DA domain accounts over to cPanel.

Quite a few of the zone records created on these DA DNA servers are "non local" - they simply provide domain to IP resolution for shared hosting accounts on other servers. Because of this, I'm not sure just using the DA to cPanel migration will work (I don't know if it will import DNS zones which are not also accounts or not).

If this will work, please let me know. If not, and there's another way I'd appreciate knowing. There's just way too many records created to try and redo them manually on the new server.

2. cPanelKeithS

cPanelKeithS Active Member
    Staff Member

During transfer, cPanel creates new zones. If you have custom zones from DA, they are likely in the BIND format. After the account transfer, scp the zone file from DA to /var/named/$domain.$tld.db and you should be fine. After the scp, you may need to goto WHM :: DNS Fiunctions >> Edit DNS Zone - Save, to update the SOA to be sure there is a new serial.

If that does not work (it should) you'll have to recreate the zone file entries via Edit DNS Zone.

3. ne0shell

Here's a bit of a twist. I copied the zone files over and it worked fine, but - a large number of these are supposed to be "owned" by a reseller account which has it's own nameservers on the system. When I edit the zones, they show as being "owned" by the proper account (I guess since they have it's nameservers in them) but when I log into my reseller whm none of them show up in the edit zones function. Is there some way to easily get these zones where I need them? It works fine if I create a zone manually. (Keep in mind, these are not "accounts", they are non local domains this DNS server is hosting the zone files for).

4. ne0shell

Nevermind, I got it. The reseller account was owned by root. All I had to do was change ownership to itself and the zones show up in it's zone editor within the resellers whm. Now it works exactly as I wanted it to, the various name servers can be modified by logging into the reseller whm for their accounts. Thanks for the help.