The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by apc1, Nov 24, 2004.

1. apc1

apc1 Well-Known Member

Hello,

If we have the backup set to daily backup, should WHM backup all sites regardless of whether they have been updated or not? This is when WHM is set to keep 1 day only.

Also, if we have WHM set to keep a week of backups shouldn't it create a seperate directory for each day, i.e. 7 directories, one for each day?

Thank you. Regards.

2. racomnet

racomnet BANNED

More question

I want to take another hdd, for backup, but my hosting provider say that they do not make support for that. If I put another hdd, and setup WHM to make backup it will work ? Or I have to make backup manualy ? :rolleyes:
    Have a nice day!

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

It doesn't keep a week of backups. It can be set to keep a (one) weekly backup. If set for daily and weekly, it will have one daily one that will get over-written each day, and one weekly one that will be over-written each 7 days.

If you were to keep 7 daily backups, that would use a lot of hard drive space.

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

If you mount the second drive as "backup", the auto backups will automatically be saved there.

Do you have the option of adding a 2nd drive?

5. apc1

apc1 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much.

And each day does WHM only backup sites that have been updated since the last backup or should it overwrite the previous backup for every site? I am finding that the dates on the backup files for each site vary from the current date to a few days previously.

regards.

6. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    WHM supports only backing up the changed data, but the downside is that it does not compress the backup archive.

See the line that says:

Incremental backup (only backup what has changed. (**No Compression**, not compatible w/ftp backups)

7. apc1

apc1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I have it set to backup all data. However, looking at the dates on the backup files it is not backing up every site every day. There are several hundred sites on the server, but typicall only a dozen or so will have the same day date stamp. Is this normal?

Thanks and regards.

8. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Nope, that is not normal.

9. racomnet

racomnet BANNED

yes I have posibility

yes I have posibility to add an secondary hdd. If my primary hdd will fail, can I backup all account from Whm ?, or do I have to save and another files.
    This backup otion from Whm, made backup and for /etc/ /usr/local or only /home.