The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Outages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by christopher one, Feb 15, 2006.

1. christopher one

Hi,

I am the admin for a server that is currently using cPanel/WHM.

WHM 10.8.0
    cPanel 10.8.1-#59
    Distro: Fedora
    Apache 1.3.33

We have been having this curious problem where http or MySQL runs away and hits 99.9% and we have already tried most if not all of the fixes in this forum. In the past we did not have this issue and it seems to have occurred after updating cPanel several months ago. What will happen is the server load will go to 4.00 (over 2 CPU, both with hyper-threading) and then, after some amount of time, crash. If the service is started outside of cPanel it seems to stay up longer, and other services stay up just fine, as well. For the first hour or so, apache always seems to be just fine. If it's left alone and not restarted every 6 hours, though, we'll experience crashes several times a day.

Is there any known bug/patch? I have tried reconfiguring apache several times and nothing has worked, the same problem still occurs. Through mod_security and auditing I can be sure that there is no intentionally or unintentionally abusive user on our server. The problem has been more or less isolated to cPanel and how it is interacting with apache.

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

2. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

When your server load goes up this high have you looked to see who owns the processes causing apache and mysql to use this much cpu and ram?

3. christopher one

root and mysql, respectively. the memory is never at full utilization, just the CPU.

4. christopher one

It was suggested that we disable mod_python, we did and the issues continued. We upgraded MySQL as well, and we still are seeing crashes.

mysqld hits 99.9 usage quite often. if we disable it, the load goes down to around .8 or lower (over four displayed CPUS (2 with hyperthreading)).

5. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This is a symptom of a bad/insecure Php scripts that goes in a loop indefinitely and doesn't shut down MySQL after use. You need to find out the script(s) that use many MySQL concurrent connections and stop it. In addition, you need to secure your server.