The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Process Log question

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by terowth, Nov 27, 2010.

1. terowth

terowth Registered

Hello,

Can someone please explain what exactly the %CPU value under Top Processes means.

The top part which is classified by user makes sense and is explained, the load % is divided by 4 (the number of cores), to show a correct amount of usage. But for top processes, there is no explanation and often times i see them add up to well over 100% (120% to be exact), but the total amount used by all users is under 0.2% (in the top table).

I just got this set up 3 days ago and I only have 2 small sites on it and am the only user of the vps.

So can anyone explain what exactly the CPU% for the bottom table means (top processes).

Thanks

2. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

sometimes they can g that high but its not constant use, It could be just a script or something updating.

You should only worry if the usuage of top is constant high usuage.

3. terowth

terowth Registered

I don't mean the top command in linux, but the "top processes" table in the daily process log.

I guess it might mean the top amount of CPU that process used at any one point during the day? Can't come up with any other explanation of the numbers.

4. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

That just shown the max output of what each domain has done for the day, with the CPU and what memory, Also including what directory the script came from.