The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Danger! Username same as Servername!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trakwebster, Feb 21, 2003.

1. trakwebster

trakwebster Well-Known Member

I found out about something dangerous today. Let's say the name of the server is george.washington.net, and then as root using WHM I create a reseller named bigreseller.net.

Using the WHM on bigreseller.net, I create a user account washington.org with username washing. So far so good.

But then, as root using WHM I create an account washington.org with username washing (being forgetful, you see).

Well this certainly works out clever. root's WHM appears to accept it, and now root's WHM can see no accounts, no domain names. In fact, when you leave and then come back, you'll not go to roots's WHM at all, but only to bigreseller's WHM!

Isn't this just a pretty kettle of fish?

Luckily, I found a fix. Go into bigreseller's WHM and delete the account washington.org. This kills the user washing, and I'm guessing this is what the problem was. Root's WHM is again accessible, and contains accounts, dns entries, etc.

But it brings me to my question:

If you have to give the server a name which is a domain you own -- in our example, washington.net -- then what do you *do* with the domain and it's associated domains such as washington.com and washington.org?

Do you just leave them parked on a nameserver? Won't that make access to your nameservers (ns1.washington.net) kind of slow?

Or do you park them on top of some dummy account that you create?

If you wanted to use these domains, could you? How would you set it up?

I would be grateful for any advice.