The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Database connection errors after upgrade to EasyApache 4

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Bdzzld, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Hi,

Ever since upgrading one of our servers from EasyApache 3 to EasyApache 4, some of our user's sites (Joomla, Wordpress, Moodle) have started to receive "Database connection errors", which have worked without problems the last few years.

And the weird thing is, when the password for the database user is copied from the configuration file of the web site and set back via cPanel, everything is running normal again, as if the password was changed in the database somehow.

We've never had such an error in the past and therefore think it may have something to do with the upgrade from EasyApache 3 to EasyApache 4.

Any ideas what it can be?

2. cPJacob

cPJacob cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Good morning,

That's indeed odd, what is the exact error you're getting? Is it that WordPress can't connect to the database, or that it can't load the MySQL connector?

3. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

Okay,

Hereby the exact error messages:

Moodle:
    Error: Database connection failed.
    It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.
    The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Wordpress:
    Error Establishing a Database Connection.

Joomla:
    Error displaying the error page: Application Instantiation Error: Could not connect to MySQL.

Meanwhile other web sites using the MySQL server on the same server work without problems (The MySQL server is also being monitored and was not down at the time).

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look and verify what could be leading to this problem? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. Don Cranford

Don Cranford Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Was this ever resolved? I have the same issue.

6. Don Cranford

Don Cranford Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For anyone that runs across this, my issue turned out to be the database passwords. Some of the sites that had been around for a while had the password encrypted in MySQL using an older format. Once I resaved the password via MySQL using the cPanel control panel, everything worked fine again.

7. Bdzzld

Bdzzld Well-Known Member

@Don Cranford: I can confirm your findings. Only older accounts have this problem and once the passwords were re-set via the newer version of cPanel, the problem does not reoccur (luckily).

I think it's something cPanel may need to look into though, as it's pretty frustrating to see that many trouble tickets after the switch to EasyApache 4. Not to mention the amount of extra work.

BTW: Is there a (manual) way to check for this (not all customers may notice it)?

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator