The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Database Losing Data Problem

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by captainron19, Nov 9, 2016.

1. captainron19

captainron19 Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am completely database illiterate. I needed a database built for my fire department website and I went with the site "Freelancer" to enlist someone to build it for me. They built it and it worked beautifully. Was able to have all members of department in there and allow sorting by name, start year, rank, station assigned to etc. They also created a password protected interface to access the control panel of the DB to enter and edit data

After about a week all of the data disappeared. Of course I did not have it backed up so i had to re-enter all the data for 120 people ! I got smart and backed it up. About a week later all data was gone again. I reached out to the freelancer that built it and they restored data (of course they asked for payment to do additional work) but I informed him the database is not working up to my expectations as it is dumping the data.

About 2-3 weeks went by with everything being well and yesterday the data was all lost again.

I reached out to the guy again and he requested root access in to my server (I have a VPS) and I obviously do not feel comfortable with providing access. I at first was worried this may be a little ploy of them dumping the data to get more work from me and get more money. I have changed the cpanel password after he logged in to design the DB but not sure if something shady is going on.

Can anyone provide input on what my next course of action should be to find out why the DB is losing its data?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's difficult to pinpoint a specific method used by an attacker to hack your websites or delete data. One could speculate on common methods used to gain access to an account, but it really requires a qualified system administrator to investigate the logs on your server and determine the source of the attack. There is a thread here where a similar question is asked:

Log Files To Check After Account Hacked

You can also find a list of system administration services on the following URL if you'd like to get a second opinion:

System Administration Services | cPanel Forums

Thank you.