The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DBM files w/Perl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mickalo, Jun 29, 2004.

1. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Hello,

we have some customers with shopping carts that utilize the DBM files with the .db extension. they have been working fine for a long time, and all of sudden we keep getting "Permission denied" errors when attempting to open these files.

We haven't changed anything regarding Perl. We're running Perl 5.6.1 build for quiet some time without any problems.

has anyone else experience this problem recently ??

any help appreciated. :)

Mickalo

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The only time that I've seen DBM problems is when moving from DB3 to DB4. The usual fix them is to run db_upgrade on the .db files - you could backup those files and then try running db_upgrade on them to see if that fixes them.

3. mickalo

Wow, I didn't know such a utility existed :)

Would you happen to know the command line to call on this db_upgrade when updating the *.db files ?? I have probably about a couple of dozen files that all of sudden stop working,...kept getting "Permission Denied" perl errors from the script. They use the "dbmopen" method and have been working perfectly for over a year, now all of sudden, none of them are working or can be accessed via the perl scripts.... this one has me stumped :(

TIA,
    Mickalo

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

db_upgrade is a bit of a long shot, you simply use:

db_upgrade <filename>.db

It's quite helpful and will tell you whether it's worked, it has nothing to do, or you're being silly for running against the file in question ;)

The problem you're seeing is certainly odd. I wonder if the DBM routines can return any debugging information - I haven't played much with them myself.

Here's an explaination and a message about the dangers:
    http://pybsddb.sourceforge.net/utility/db_upgrade.html

Backup first!

#4 chirpy, Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  5. mickalo

Thx's abunch Chirpy, that seems to done the trick... a few minor tweaks in the Perl scripts, that calls the dbmopen function, and now they work again... go figure. I have NO idea what happened unless Cpanel updated something with perl that I'm not aware of... but again, appreciate the help... happy customers again :)

Mickalo