The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dDoS + logs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dreamy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Dreamy

Dreamy Well-Known Member

Is there any way cPanel logs dDoS attackers IP address and where is it saved to?

eg. could I see from somewhere how many connections from that ip address on that time was into my server?

and could I see somehow via putty through terminal command who is currently attacking the server? how to ban thse ip's ?

#1 Dreamy, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. JPC-Stefan

JPC-Stefan Member

cPanel provide Raw Apache Logs for all domains, but it it is not convenient way to check the DDOS attack on the server. You can also check the IP's requesting apache service on your server from WHM>> Server Status >> Apache Status.

If you have shell access then you can check the current number of connections by command:

# netstat -ntu | grep ESTAB | awk '{print $5}' | cut -d: -f1 | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

However it is recommended to install Firewall tools like APF and BFD to block DDOS attack on your server.

3. sirotex

sirotex Well-Known Member

Software firewalls won't even touch a DDoS attack. The only real way to actually prevent _some_ DDoS attacks is via a ciscos guard, which are quite expensive.