The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ddos protected server

Discussion in 'Security' started by jameshunt80, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jameshunt80

jameshunt80 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I need to protect my game server from ddos. Which providers offer firewalls for rent + DDoS protection?

2. XxUnkn0wnxX

XxUnkn0wnxX Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    i won't go into details but

i use cloud flare & there API system with flarewall + CSF firewall & fail2ban to block most simple attacks based on regex rules that scan log files like domlogs of my site and finds any attackers based on the regex rules...

from there CSF blocks the ip + same ip gets sent to cloud flare and it gets blocked from there so it doesnt even hit ur server then.

but you need to configure it all ur self m8.. or look for guides on the net like i did..

also try to find good hosting that offers good Dos protection.. services these days are to expensive. it is best to find hosting that offers good protection in there package. like OVH... they also offer good hardware but a bit to expansive for my taste.. like load balances etc...

also setting up good mod security rules can be a big help.

also a rate limiter can be handy like Mod_QOS if set up right..

and i use "htacess" and place apache based rules in there to block some attacks as well..

this all based on a norma web based server. for game server may take time to properly configure as i assume more connections are being made within a few seconds. so setting up a rate limiter may be challenging..

if you can afford it i would recommend getting a load balancer that should help balance the load and even when ur getting attacked should block it..

#2 XxUnkn0wnxX, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. jameshunt80

jameshunt80 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks a mil for the details. Prior to this, have you tried any other DDOS protection providers?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll check it out