The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with bayes_toks.expire files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danimal, May 3, 2006.

1. danimal

danimal Well-Known Member

Hello!

Has anyone else noticed lots of files named something like bayes_toks.expireNNN in /home/<account>/.spamassassin/ (where NNN is some 3-5 digit number)

I can't find much help searching online and none here. It may be that spamassassin is running too long and the check times out, but I don't know.

I'd welcome any help in troubleshooting this or any references to instructions on dealing with it. My server isn't overloaded. It runs under 1.00 load typically with occasionally jumps into 2.00-3.00 but that's about it. I also see emails from WHM that spamd had to be restarted automatically about once a day or every other day. So I suspect spamassassin is working pretty hard, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it or fix it.

Thanks!

-Danimal :cool:

2. etamjb

etamjb Registered

I've just encountered the same problem and have come up with a workaround.

I have added 'rm -rf /home/*/.spamassassin/bayes_toks.expire*' to my cronjobs.

It gets rid of all of them at 3am.

If anyone else knows of a better way to do this let us know, but judging from the number of responses this message has received that looks unlikely.

3. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    what is spamassassin doing?

Sorry for retrieve an old post, but I'm having the same exact issue present after upgrading to WHM 11.23.2 cPanel 11.23.6-S27698 last saturday.

Spamassassin running version:
    Code:
    [root /]# spamd -V
    SpamAssassin Server version 3.2.4
      running on Perl 5.8.8
      with SSL support (IO::Socket::SSL 1.16)
      with zlib support (Compress::Zlib 1.42)

It is very strange since this issue was reported two years ago and I didn't find any other post with similar scenario.

I already deleted the bayes_toks.expireNNN files found, which was eating about 1 GB of space in our box.

I've retrieved this post in order to ask anybody if nowadays is present any script to fix/setup/control this behaviour, or if any script is better to have installed to help solve this. Deleting these files via cron don't seem the best suited solution because it must have a reason for those files to be generated.

Any idea?

4. oshs

oshs Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Resurrecting this old thread.

Does anyone have any more info on this issue? These files in /home/username/.spamassassin/ look like they stay for a few days and then get deleted, but some accounts have over 500MB of these files using up their disk quota at any given time.

Can the auto-rotation of these files be increased anywhere?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator