The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with tons of spam - couple of questions.. your opinion wanted...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by electric, Dec 8, 2005.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am just getting killed with spam, so now I want to do a bit to try and stop it.

Current Setup

1) I have about 12 different active domains, and they are configured so that all email is forwarded to a single pop3 account on a single domain.

ie:
    anything@domain[B]1[/B].com --> mail@mydomain.com
    anything@domain[B]2[/B].com --> mail@mydomain.com
    anything@domain[B]3[/B].com --> mail@mydomain.com
    anything@domain[B]4[/B].com --> mail@mydomain.com

2)I am running spam assassin on the "mydomain.com" account.

The idea here is that it is easier for me to check only a single pop3 account to download all my mail. :)

However, since I'm getting a TON of spam/viruses now, I need to do something different.

Question and Possible Solutions

1) Is BoxTrapper reliable? I will look for a 3rd party solution, if it isn't reliable or very good. I've never used it, so I don't know... let me know your expience and thoughts.
    I am thinking to maybe stop using my forwarding system and just setup lots of pop3 accounts and enable boxtrapper for them.

2) Experience with mailscanner setup provided by chirpy. I have read a number of reviews of his service, and it seems to be good. However, my admins tell me that it will add a lot of load to the servers so I'm a bit hesitant. Any thoughts?

3) Leave things as they are, but use something like mailwasher to "scrub" my single mailbox before downloading the mail.

What do you think?

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    boxtraper is crap if your getting hit hard with spam your just doubling The Junk mail and sending your authorization emails to inocent victoms or non existant mail accounts

Mail Scannner has it pros and cons and yes your admin is right it does add additional load to your server I personally do not use mailscanner anymore because of the load issues with it if you are getting hit with 1000's virus's then may not be what works for you just using Clam AV and a exim filter I have not recived a virus in over a year and a few domains on some of my servers get pounded with virus's

Leave things as they are: I wouldn't

I use a coustom set up that blocks as much Junk as it posibly can before it hits my servers why waste my bandwith processing Spammers emails all though i do use chirpy's anti dictionary attack rules

:)

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

One thing you need to do is NOT forward everything@domains to your POP account because spammers sometimes send out to hundreds of variations to the same domain. You should only forward from the actual addresses you are using and set the defaults to :fail:. That will cut it down a lot.

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    indeed bad idea using the catch all is just asking "please Spam me" & spam assassin IS NOT A FIX it is a tool

my own domains (ones I use for personel/business) get about 4 spam messages a week between and some of the addresses recieve a lot of mail dont even need to use spam assassin

using cpanel default config would get me about 300 + junk emails a week :D

5. HostMerit

HostMerit Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Forward the email addresses on domain[1-4].com to your address. Set the default address to :fail:

This will block ALOT of spam, and dictionary attacks.

Another good article is: http://www.configserver.com/free/eximdeny.html

Stops dictionary spamming, but you must have default set to fail.

6. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel really should look at greylisting (graylisting) - it really should cut down the spam volume a lot.