The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debian + cPanel & WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by worldwide, Dec 19, 2014.

1. worldwide

worldwide Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I pretty sure that this has come up before in many topics, but really wondering why cpanel/whm does not support one of the oldest and best systems to use for websites ?

At this moment i have centos os running my website but to be able to do what i want to do to my website most of the things i'm looking at is only supported for debian os, so at this very moment I have 2 servers running 1 with my website which is on cloud with cpanel and the other is my main server which i'm turning into Debian 7 so sad to say I love Cpanel but i have to do whats best for my site and members.

Hopefully 1 day Cpanel will see the need for Debian support and hopefully soon, I have about 8 friends that have websites and larger then mine and every single one has said they are also on Debian and waiting for cpanel so for now i will check the forums to see when they will and if they will, so phpmyadmin here I come and farewell Cpanel and hope to see you again soon.

Mohammed Ali Abdul likes this.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. worldwide

worldwide Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you cPanelMichael I will add my vote.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What are you looking for in Debian, that doesn't work on CentOS?

5. worldwide

worldwide Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    well for 1 rtorrent+rutorrent does not want to work on centos as like auto uploaders such as janhouse i have even spoken with both janhouse does not support centos anymore so allot of the commands would have to be switched over i have also spoken with rutorrent on the same matter which they said it can be installed but somethings will not work. most of them are only supporting debian now although installing wget as well as sudoers on debian as a package to install these most will stop you in the middle of the install because of dependence's.

6. worldwide

worldwide Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    so to switch over to debian for the products that will run smoothly there is always a give in take you either go there do debian and loose cpanel or keep cpanel and loose what you want for your site...if cpanel was for all linux distros this would not be a problem, as i love cpanel the rest really sucks i have tried plesk and others but non compare to cpanel....so i would rather just go with phpmyadmin then to use another plesk software or any others until cpanel decides that there are users out there that use different distros and still would like the cpanel product and to be 1 of the oldest distros i am sad to see that it was not one of the first ones cpanel supported

7. Mohammed Ali Abdul

Mohammed Ali Abdul Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
  8. keijo

keijo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Answering a question with another question triggered my response:
    -- Upgrades from release to release are supported and work great for Debian. (ex: upgrade from Debian 6.x to Debian 7.x). CentOS has no official upgrade method to new releases, and version 7 is still in the blue for this.
    -- Package management on Debian is way better than YUM.
    -- Debian is kept way more up-to-date than RHEL/CentOS; these last address security by tossing updated back-ports.
    -- Hardware support in Debian is far more complete. New RAID controllers also get the accompanying software (smartmontools), whereas back-ported support lacks these "dependencies".

I could go on, but the bottom line is that basically, cPanel/WHM is offered in the current Linux flavors to ease support and endorse corporate mindsets (commercial support model). This is, a stable OS that won't get updated much in a way that new features and/or major version changes may "break" any software functionality and/or there won't be a need to re-certify software packages to every new change in the underlying OS.

That beng said, is just my opinion, but of course I'd LOVE to use Debian, again, this time along with cPanel/WHM. I've used Debian for about 15 years, and CentOS came to play when I purchased my first cPanel license, not too long ago.

Best regards,

Keijo!