The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dec 29 /scripts/cpbackup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by FWC, Jan 1, 2003.

1. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Our accounts haven't been backed up since cpbackup changed on Dec. 29th. Is anybody else having this problem? The files and dirs directories run, but the accounts don't. Everything looks like it's set right in WHM.

2. mrprez

mrprez Well-Known Member

I just checked mine and they haven't been backed up since 12/29 also.

John

3. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

Ditto that - multiple servers not backed up

Naturally I found out the hard way... just deleted a file that I spend hours working on. Argh...

The backups seem to be running, and the config files are getting backed up... but accounts haven't been backed up since the 29th. :(

- Jason

4. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Same here

5. Curt

Curt Well-Known Member

Same here!

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Has anyone opened a support ticket for this issue?

7. mrprez

mrprez Well-Known Member

I noticed that now the backup isn't even running according to the cpup email. When I tried to run cpbackup nothing happened at all. Just went right back to the bash prompt. I notified the people I lease my server from and they were going to open a ticket. Hope this gets fixed soon.

John

8. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well, we found out the problem lies in the cpbackup script itself. We have on older copy of the cpbackup script and it runs fine, backing up everything as it should.

The problem with current cpbackup script lies somewhere between lines 12-42 or 225-233. Those lines are not in the older script we have.

Those lines are there to check for linux/freebsd and number of cpus as well as run cpuwatch and logrunner.

My guess though is that the issue is with cpuwatch. I don't think it is calculating the correct cpu load and stops because it thinks the load is to high for the backups of the accounts to run.

The cpuwatch is called by a new sub-routine called cpusystem which replaces just doing a system command.

9. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We confirmed the issue is with cpusystem sub-routine. A few minor modifications to cpbackup to bypass this routine and backups are running fine.

10. mrprez

mrprez Well-Known Member

I thought that might be it. I noticed that on my last backup the script stopped to wait for the server load to go down.

Do you know where in the last backup I could find the good version of cpbackup? Or can you post a link where I can download a copy?

Thanks,

John

11. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    A simple tweak to cpbackup will fix it temporarily (till next upcp)

change the word cpusystem to system on the following lines;

Then in order to manually run cpbackup do the following;

rm -Rf /backup/cpbackup/daily
    cd /scripts
    ./cpbackup

The backups should now go through fine. I know this worked on my system but cannot guarantee success on others.

12. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity (so I can prepare), will this fix be overwritten the next time we update, particularly if the issue hasn't been fixed with that update?

13. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yep! It will be overwritten, I would suggest copying cpbackup to a new file name, edit the new file and create a seperate cronjob until darkorb has a permannant fix for it.

14. Tom Pyles

Tom Pyles Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought....thanks for the confirmation ;)

15. ecoutez

[quote:aa1b3bd044][i:aa1b3bd044]Originally posted by dgbaker[/i:aa1b3bd044]

Has anyone opened a support ticket for this issue?

[/quote:aa1b3bd044]

Yes. I opened a ticket yesterday. I just spoke with Dave a few moments ago as they wanted to see this firsthand on someone's box. Sounds like another CPanel customer beat me to the punch with their login info, so hopefully they're looking at the problem ASAP.

I also directed Dave to this thread since dgbaker may already have isolated the problem for them. And if so... he should get a gold star or something! ;)

- Jason

16. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I too have a ticket open, they wanted to diagnose the &server problem&.

I explained that it is a coding issue with cpuwatch and not an isolated server issue. I also directed them to this post.

17. dgbaker

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well, my ticket is now closed. Here is the response.

[qoute]

Hello,

Glad you got it working, the cpuwatch is used to keep the server from bogging down too much when running the backups, and you can 'cheat' it by increasing the number of cpu's it thinks the machine has in /var/cpanel/cpanel.config . About 95% of the time it is a server specific issue whether the client knows it or not, just because many people have the same effect does not mean the cause is the same.

Thanks,
    Darren
    --

DarkORB Communications Inc
    (570)-499-0536 Scranton, PA Office (SMC)
    (302)-275-3218 Newark, DE Office

[enquote]

Now granted it may be server caused somehow, but to have lots of people having the same issue all starting at the same time? I myself cannot except that it is server related.

18. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

It's happening to us as well, in our two servers. Last backups were done on Dec 28 and Dec 29 repectively.

19. ecoutez

Ugh...

One of my servers has almost ZERO use, never has a load, and is exhibiting this problem. The other is relatively light - has only a couple busy accounts (busy being ~7GB/mo traffic, 500MB disk usage).

I'd rather not stay up 'til 4AM and take screen captures of the load, but if that's what it comes down to...

Perhaps there's something in common about our server hardware configuration? Mine are both dual processor boxes (P3-1000 and P3-1133) with 1GB ram, software RAID mirroring on hda, hdc, and backup to hdb (always mounted as /backup). MBoard manufacturer is Tyan and uses a Via IDE chipset.

- Jason

20. ecoutez

Fails to run manually as well...

At the suggestion of Shaun2222 on the IRC channel, I tried running /scripts/cpbackup on two servers a moment ago...

server 1: 5.3.0-RELEASE_117
    load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    /scripts/cpbackup ended almost immediately. I can't find any newly touched files in /backup/cpbackup/daily/ or the ./dirs or ./files subdirectories. The process does not appear to have forked, and there remains no server load.

server 2: 5.3.0-RELEASE_117
    load average: 0.24, 0.31, 0.22
    /scripts/cpbackup ran for several minutes, appeared to be zipping some files, and created a small load. Good sign! Upon completion, I see newly created files in /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs and /backup/cpbackup/daily/files but still no sign of new home directory backups. :(

I wondered if the first server having literally *zero* load might be causing the script to abort (maybe bad code that divides by the load or something along those lines) so I created a load 0.34, 0.42, 0.18 and tried again. Same results - script ended immediately without comment.

BTW - both these servers are running the same release, and have the same /scripts/cpbackup (md5sum: 6479d53ac4133455c440edba11247841)

Others experiencing this problem - perhaps try running /scripts/cpbackup manually and see what you get.

DarkOrb - please get in touch if you'd like to take a look at either of these boxes. Open ticket #5589 has my contact info. Call/email/AIM/smokesignal at any hour.

- Jason