The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated IP confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cangelo, Dec 19, 2007.

1. cangelo

cangelo Registered

I'm a bit confused when creating a new account as to when to use the dedicated IP option.

I understand that if you are going to use a security certificate that you only want one domain on that IP.

Is there any other time a domain needs a dedicated IP?

If not making a secure domain, can more than one account be put on the same dedicated IP address?

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only real reason and valid excuse that I am aware of for using a dedicated IP is for a secure certificate.

If the domain is not going to be using a secure certificate then it should be set up to use the shared server IP.

It is my understanding that if ARIN (or whoever controls the IP addressing for your region) does an audit and finds that there is no valid reason for a specific IP to be used, then they can take away your IPs.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a valid reason, but its my understanding that only a secure certificate is a valid excuse for using an IP on a webhosting server. There may be other reasons, I just don't know about them.

The reason being is that there are fewer and fewer IPv4 addresses available. Users cannot just request a dedicated IP just for the sake of having a dedicated IP. If that was done, then we would quickly run out of IPv4 addresses.

3. cangelo

cangelo Registered

The reason for my confusion comes because my previous hosting service used an Easy Admin control panel and I had 8 IP Addresses. Each new domain put on my server could be assigned any of those IP addresses. So each IP address could have many shared domains on them.