The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated IP for SSL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gibberish, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Gibberish

Gibberish Member

I need to install a SSL on my server for one of my accounts. Rigth now all accounts have the same internal IP(192.168.0.100) and external IP (206.254.XXX.XX) Do I just need to setup the account with a new dedicated internal IP or does the external IP need to be different as well?

2. Sean.barron

Sean.barron Active Member

Hello Gibberish,

As each SSL site need its own Dedicated IP address,you will require one dedicated IP for installing a Dedicated SSL certificate on your website.You can easily order one additional dedicated IP from your Hosting provider.Many hosting providers offer one Dedicated IP free with Dedicated SSL certificates.So I would suggest you to order a SSL certificate from your hosting provider,It will decrease the cost of Dedicated IP.

3. Gibberish

Gibberish Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So you are saying the domain needs a dedicated External IP along with a dedicated Internal IP?

All my websites currently use the below setup (i'm making up the IPs):
    206.254.646.25 (domain www A record) -> Firewall -> 192.168.0.100 (server and ip for account in WHM)

For this specific account that needs its own SSL do I need to make a deciated IP line like below?:
    206.254.646.26 (single domain www A record) -> Firewall -> 192.168.0.101 (added IP of server(192.168.0.100) with IP dedicated to the domain account in WHM)

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Gibberish,

Internal IPs (192.168) are irrelevant, at least as far as SSL is concerned, as they can't be accessed remotely.

SSL connections need their own IPs - they come into the server encrypted, so the IP is used to help Apache tell them apart.