The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated IP workaround (WHM with 1 IP)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrEliasen, Jul 8, 2013.

1. MrEliasen

MrEliasen Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Everyone,

I know this was possible before as I did this with quite a few dedicated servers (Not VPS though!) before (About 2 years ago I believe).

The issue
    I have a VPS which I am very happy with. The problem is I cannot purchase another IP from this provider as they do not offer this service yet. The VPS is dedicated to 1 site (some might call this overkill), and I have a SSL cert. I need to install but it requires a dedicated ip. SNI won't help me here as it won't work with IE on windows XP machines from what I have read and tested (with BrowserStack and VMs).

Before I was able to set the IP manually (via SSH) to users and set the "dedicated" flag for the IP which would make it dedicated to the user. Is this still possible? I tried looking around but I could find nothing like this (to be fair I cannot remember exactly how I did it back then).

Any workaround for making the only ip dedicated to the only account?

Thanks!

#1 MrEliasen, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There were several changes to the SSL system in cPanel 11.38, as documented here:

11.38 - Improved SSL Management System

Ideally, you should obtain an additional IP address if SNI is not an option for you. Beyond that, one unsupported solution you could try would be adding a "dummy" IP address that you do not own, and making it your main shared IP address. Then, assign the working IP address to the account as a dedicated IP.

Thank you.