The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated server question with what ip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by amorosso, Dec 24, 2011.

1. amorosso

amorosso Active Member

Hi everyone. I have a issue more so because I just don't know what to do.

I bought a SSL from godaddy the install seemed to go well , then I learned that you need a dedicated ip for the domain you are installing the SSL for. OK no biggie. But for many reasons I don't want to change the ip for that domain. However I have a hardware firewall installed on my server that for some reason or another as you can see in the picture below. Untitled.png

If I go to account list and click on the ip 10.0.0.1 I get a drop down list with this

10.0.0.1 (main shared IP) (shared by root)
    173.201.189.70 (name server ns2.123-acc.com

The IP I want to keep as a dedicated ip for my important domain is 173.201.189.70

Any ideas how I should go about doing this. Thank you..

More then willing to pay someone to fix this for me as well.

2. amorosso

amorosso Active Member

Anyone have a idea ?

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello amorosso,

I'm confused about the "keep as a dedicated IP for my important domain" portion of your question. You originally mentioned your domain isn't using a dedicated IP, so what IP is that domain actually using? If it is using 10.0.0.1, then you should be able to change the IP in WHM > IP Functions > Change Site's IP Address area.

Now, if you are really using the 10.0.0.1 IP for sites, it sounds like you have the machine using NAT which translates backend IPs on the server to frontend public IPs via network filtering. If that is the case, then you'll have to ensure to switch the site to routing on that other IP if needed as well.

If you aren't able to use the dedicated IP for the site for some reason, please provide the exact error message in text for us (please no screen prints as text-based error messages are easier to view).

Finally, if the above isn't the case at all, please let us know specifically what isn't working and what needs to be done.

Thanks!

4. amorosso

amorosso Active Member

Hi and thank you. Sorry to confuse you.. OK I have a dedicated server with a NAT. I have three IP's on it. All show each domain is using 10.0.0.1

If I go into WHM > IP Functions > Change Site's IP Address area All I can do is view. No where will it allow me to change a ip.
    uu.png

It's not about any errors really. I don't see any. Other then what do I do type of deal.

However if I go into WHC> list accounts I see the ip is 10.0.0.1 but in the drop down for the domain I'm concerned about I have this. nnn.png

No for what of my other domains, one that I really don't care about I did use that drop down to change the ip and the site has been down ever since. That was last week sometime. photosmaller.com So now I'm scared to even try playing with it until I get help on here.

But I do get this email everyday

The hostname (abcd.123-acc.com) resolves to 173.201.189.70. It
    should resolve to 10.0.0.1. Please be sure that the contents of
    /etc/hosts are configured correctly, and also that there is a
    correct 'A' entry for the domain in the zone file.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Please open up a free ticket in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature, since you are concerned about changing the site's IP address for us to check further.

Of note, in Change Site's IP Address area, you'd have to select the account first to be given a dropdown list for IPs to use. The screen print you've provided doesn't show any account having yet being selected.

Thanks!