The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default account not receiving mail when * set to :fail:

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by kwimberl, Nov 18, 2004.

1. kwimberl

kwimberl Well-Known Member

I have a problem that is stumping me for some reason today:

When I set * to :fail: in /etc/valiases/domain.com , the default address (actual user on the box for that domain) does not receive any mail and sends back a permanent error to the sender. If I set the catchall to that account, then that account does receive email. I have added the servername to /etc/localdomains and it is not a permissions issue.

Any ideas?

2. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

If your default email address is:

default@domain.com

And you set the default to fail, it will not only fail all mail not sent to a specifically created email account, but it will also fail mail sent to default@domain.com. There is a way to work around this.

Set the default to fail, then go to the Manage Accounts section of the email area of the control panel and add an email account that is:

default@domain.com

This sounds odd, but it works. Now any mail addressed to domain@default.com will go to this newly created account. To access that mail, you use the full email address as the username and the password you specified when you created it. This is actually a separate account from the default account but since it was specifically create, then mail addressed to it will go there before it gets failed.

3. kwimberl

kwimberl Well-Known Member

That is screwy and I don't think we used to have this problem. I have the default on the box now set to :fail: when we setup a domain. This would mean that no client's Email will work by default unless they go in and create an account.

There has to be a solution or a fix...

4. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

#4 Marty, Nov 18, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  5. webits

webits Well-Known Member

Yebo it has

Yeah it has!!!!!